From: Nadav Horesh <nadavh@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-amd64] CFLAGS for Core2?
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 05:54:21
1 If the machine has the 965 chipset, there is a fair chance that you'll
2 not be able to boot a 2006.1 CD (I least I couldn't). Please report you
3 experience.
4
5 Nadav.
6
7 -----Original Message-----
8 From: Jack Lloyd [mailto:lloyd@×××××××××.net]
9 Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 22:25
10 To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
11 Subject: [gentoo-amd64] CFLAGS for Core2?
14 Tomorrow my new Core 2 workstation should be arriving, and reading
15 through the 2006.1 amd64 install notes and so forth, the recomended
16 CFLAGS for EM64T CPUs is -march=nocona. However as that is tuned for
17 64-bit enabled Netburst rather than Conroe, I'm wondering if anyone
18 had thoughts on good flags. In particular as (to the extent that I
19 know anything about microarchitecture), Conroe seems closer to a K8
20 than a P4, especially with regards to pipeline length and execution
21 resources, I'm not sure that P4/Netburst tuning is the right thing to
22 do. But the GCC docs say that -march=k8 enables 3dnow, which Intel
23 chips don't have. So, right now the "seems likely" options would
24 be:
25
26 -march=k8 -mno-3dnow -msse3
27 -march=nocona
28 -march=pentium-m -m64 [saw this suggested in the forums, seems like a
29 bad idea]
30
31 Or can I get away with just something like
32
33 -mtune=k8 -msse3 (will this get me 64-bit code?)
34
35 To be clear, my main goals here are a) enable generation of all
36 instructions the CPU has, b) keep GCC from generating 3dnow,etc
37 instructions, and c) get instruction scheduling that is at least
38 moderately decent for the uarch I'm using.
39
40 Since SSE/SSE2, -mfpmath=sse, and argument passing via registers are
41 default in 64-bit mode, I suspect the only other options I might try
42 are -momit-leaf-frame-pointer, -frename-registers, and
43 -finline-functions.
44
45 Ideas?
46