From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Please get me straight about sysvinit vs. systemd, udev vs eudev vs mdev, virtuals and other things...
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 18:20:35
1 On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 12:12 PM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 3 Mar 2014 12:40:59 -0500
3 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
6 >> Honestly, there is no shortage of people offering their opinions.
7 >> What there is a shortage of is people actually doing work to make
8 >> (e)udev do anything differently. In the end people can complain as
9 >> much as they want, but unless they fork over effort or dollars or
10 >> something they won't get terribly far.
13 > Work? What work?
14 >
15 > I have never used udev/eudev/mdev or anything similar and, if I am allowed
16 > to nave a choice, I never will.
17
18 You will always have that choice, since the software is free.
19
20 > Manually creating a /dev tree that perfectly reflects ones own system
21 > is rather trivial. That's how Linux used to be and that's how Linux,
22 > for the most part, still is. There is, or at least should be, no need
23 > for udev or any substitute for udev.
24
25 If you want to create a /dev tree for a computer that never gets new
26 hardware connected via USB, bluetooth, or another bus, yeah, it's
27 pretty trivial.
28
29 Too bad that kind of computer is going the way of the dodo.
30
31 > IOW, udev should be developed as a nice, helpful option for those who
32 > want such nice, helpful options. But it always should be just that: optional.
33 > Once it stops being a choice then we begin to deviate greatly from
34 > the once sacrosanct principles of free software.
35
36 We agree on that one. Of course, if a distribution wants to support as
37 many users as they could, they probably will choose the nice, helpful
38 options.
39
40 The alternatives will be always available, of course. It's just that
41 perhaps no distribution will want to do the "rather trivial" work of
42 generating a static /dev tree for *your* computer.
43
44 But is rather trivial, isn't it? So it doesn't matter.
45
46 Regards.
47 --
48 Canek Peláez Valdés