From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Moving to no-multilib profile
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:32:23
Mike Arthur posted <200604201251.53260.mike@×××××××××××××.uk>, excerpted
below,  on Thu, 20 Apr 2006 12:51:53 +0100:

> On Thursday 20 April 2006 12:29, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote: >> On Thursday 20 April 2006 06:18, Mike Arthur <mike@×××××××××××××.uk> >> wrote >> >> about 'Re: [gentoo-amd64] Moving to no-multilib profile': >> > Can grub not be compiled in 64-bit mode? >> >> No. > Oh cool, so basically, I can just move to the new profile and remove > /lib32, as grub doesn't depend on other libraries, and install grub-bin. > Do I need to recompile anything, i.e. gcc or glibc?
It's grub-static, IIRC. There should be no issue going multilib -> nomultilib, as gcc and glibc from multilib will handle nomultilib (aka 64-bit only) just fine, since they have that as one of their libraries already. The issue would be if you ever decide to /reverse/ the process, from nomultilib 64-bit only -> multilib 64- and 32-bit both. /That/ is the challenge, the easiest way to overcome it being to simply install a stage-3 tarball again and go from there. With no-multilib, your updates will eventually kill off your existing 32-bit stuff. You'll find that gcc and glibc (and sandbox, but it's small enough not to be a big deal anyway) will merge in about half the time as they won't be dealing with the 32-bit stuff on top of the 64-bit stuff. I don't know if it's necessary, but I'd do it in this order and soon after switching, just to be sure, and know I had finished the switch without issue instead of having an unexpected issue later. 1 merge grub-static (or install a binary lilo or whatever), unmerging grub (or lilo) in the process. 2 remerge gcc, so it's 64-bit only. 3 remerge sandbox 4 remerge glibc. The vitally important things are that grub-static is first, and then boot from it to ensure it's working, and that glibc is last, as any remaining 32-bit stuff on your system (possibly including sandbox and gcc) will quit working when the 32-bit glibc is removed. (grub-static is just that, linked entirely static, so it doesn't depend on 32-bit glibc or anything else.) Remember, to be able to still run grub from the regular system (if you change /boot filesystems or something and need to reinstall grub with the correct stage-1.5/2, you'll need to keep the kernel options for 32-bit x86 enabled. If you don't want to do that, you can simply keep a liveCD or the like around, with grub on it, to reinstall to the hard drive and boot sector, if necessary. In that case, you really don't need the grub-static package at all, since you don't need to run grub to change its config (unlike lilo), and since if you /do/ need to run it to reinstall to the boot sector and /boot/grub/*, you'll do it off external media. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Moving to no-multilib profile Mike Arthur <mike@×××××××××××××.uk>