From: Guido Doornberg <guidodoornberg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] fsck seems to screw up my harddisk
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 18:18:50
1 hello everybody =),
2
3 About three months ago I decided to upgrade my desktop, in fact it was
4 more like buying a complete new one because I only kept the case and
5 the DVD-drive.
6 Anyway, my PC now contains an Athlon X2 4200+, a Samsung SP2504 250 GB
7 SATA2 harddisk and an Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard.
8
9 As OS I chose Gentoo (obviously) 2006.0, and partitioned my hd as follow:
10 /dev/sda1 ext2 /boot 32mb
11 /dev/sda2 swap 512mb
12 /dev/sda3 ext3 / everything left
13
14 Took me much time to configure, but finally it was the way I wanted
15 it, accept for the fact that I had to use the acpi=off and noapic
16 parameters to get the kernel working.
17
18 So the system worked perfect every time until fsck started checking my
19 harddisk ("30 times mounted without being checked, check forced" In
20 the beginning everything seemed alright but at 18.7% the checking
21 freezed and a couple of minutes later fsck reported that my fs was
22 corrupted and that it couldn't be fixed "try fsck manually etc...." So
23 after this i did try fsck manually but everytime exact the same
24 story... I tried to mount the fs with the livecd but got an "can't
25 mount corrupted fs" (or something similar).
26
27 I couldn't figure out why this happened because everything worked
28 perfect and I hadn't done anything 'strange' with my pc. So, searched
29 google and various forums but couldn't find a solution to fix my fs,
30 so i formatted the complete disk and re-installed gentoo. Again, took
31 me a lot of time, but after all the work it worked even better then
32 the first time =).... well, at least until I had booted 30 times
33 without checking the filesystem. Fsck again began 'doing his job',
34 freezed at 18.7%, my filesystem was corrupted, couldn't mount it with
35 my live-cd etc.
36 This time I even had used my pc, just wanted to reboot, and at once my
37 filesystem was corrupted :S,
38
39 Well, I want to use Gentoo but i don't realy like the idea of spoiling
40 my weekend by installing an OS thats gonna stop working 30 times
41 booting later.
42 So, does anyone know whats wrong here and how i can prevent that it
43 happens again?
44
45 thanks =)
46 --