From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Dual gigabit Intel NICs problem.
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 13:45:16
1 "Juan Fco. Giordana" <juangiordana@×××××.com> posted
2 49C8B0B3.1000709@×××××.com, excerpted below, on Tue, 24 Mar 2009 07:06:43
3 -0300:
4
5 > I'm using the driver e1000e for these NICs since it's the one suggested
6 > for these Intel cards and I've found lot of information about a problem
7 > on this driver that leads to the the firmware being corrupted. I don't
8 > think I'm affected though since the first card is working properly and
9 > I've dumped the eprom for both adapters and they doesn't show any
10 > difference.
11
12 On the corrupted firmware bit, the problem ultimately was a combination
13 of the dunder-headed hardware/firmware implementation (blindly accepting
14 any random write as new firmware without even verifying a checksum!), now
15 corrected in newer firmware I believe, and a bug in ftrace. If you never
16 had the ftrace kernel option turned on in kernels you ran on that
17 hardware, as is presumably the case with production server hardware, or
18 if you had it turned on but only in kernels AFTER the fix, the single
19 known triggering bug vector will have never been available, so it's very
20 unlikely you have it.
21
22 LWN article: The source of the e1000e corruption bug:
23 http://lwn.net/Articles/304105/
24
25 Other than that, I don't have any direct experience with that hardware,
26 so I'm not going to be of much help, I'm afraid.
31 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman