From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] KDE and kdeprefix
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 19:24:04
1 On Donnerstag 11 Juni 2009, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > > Barring the somewhat humorous ending to this warning from my latest
3 > > updates to KDE, I'm a little concerned by the import of the message.
4 > > Can someone enlighten me?
7 > > * WARNING! You have kdeprefix useflag enabled.
8 > > * This setting is strongly discouraged and might lead to potential
9 > > troubles * with KDE update strategies.
10 > > * You are using this setup at your own risk and kde team does not
11 > > * take responsibilities for dead kittens.
14 > > What update strategies are being considered that would break by using
15 > > this? And was this a KDE message directly? Or is this a warning from
16 > > the Gentoo KDE devs?
17 >
18 > This is a warning message from Gentoo KDE devs . kdeprefix is a gentoo
19 > thingie and it not supported by official KDE upstream. Thus I might not
20 > work that well. It is only advised to use it if you want to have kde:4.2
21 > and :live together. I would recommend to disable it globally and run emerge
22 > -uDN world
23
24 and I wouldn't touch it and ignore the message.
25
26 kde has a long history of not installing into /usr directly - and that was
27 always a good thing.