From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Problem with emerge on a dual-processor machine
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 23:42:02
1 "Vesna Petrovic" <vesna.petrovic@×××××.com> posted
2 60bedadc0610311046q23d77c5fu671c7330a2f09a14@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Tue, 31 Oct 2006 13:46:29 -0500:
4
5 > The system has 2 AMD Opeteron Processors 252, 5 disks - 1IDE Maxtor
6 > 6B200R0 and 4 SCSI Maxtor 6L300S0, and probably irrelevant ATAPI 48X DVD-ROM
7 > DVD-R CD-R/RW drive, Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme
8 > BCM5703X Gigabit Ethernet (rev 02), RAID bus controller: Silicon Image, Inc.
9 > SiI 3114 [SATALink/SATARaid] Serial ATA Controller (rev 02), FireWire (IEEE
10 > 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB22/A IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link),
11 > VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AP [Radeon 9600]
12 > 05:00.1, Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AP [Radeon 9600]
13 > (Secondary).
14 > Kernel version is 2.6.17 built using gentoo-sources.
15
16 I have but a few possibilities to suggest, but I can say I've been using a
17 similar system since late 2003, upgrading it over time, and know it works.
18 FWIW, Tyan s2885 mobo here, dual Opteron 242s, four-way SATA RAID on SiI
19 3114 SATA controller, 8 gig memory, Firewire, Radeon 9200 (so the ATI r200
20 series not the r300 series you have, mine is AGP), a DVDRW, CDRW, and older
21 PATA hard drive on PATA, etc.
22
23 Possibilities:
24
25 I had bum memory for awhile. Twas a mess, until I got a BIOS upgrade that
26 allowed me to declock it a notch (to pc3000 level from the pc3200 it was
27 rated). A memory upgrade cured that.
28
29 The usual possible hardware suspects including the power supply train
30 (from the one in the computer itself, to what's coming in on the line, to
31 the UPS if any), and possibly overclocked CPUs. With all those hard
32 drives, it's possible you are simply underpowered. I think I'm running a
33 550 watt rated Vantec that's rated to 650-ish spike.
34
35 At one point there was an issue with the firewire driver and x86_64 SMP.
36 Since I'm not using Firewire for anything here, IIRC I disabled it in BIOS
37 as well as the kernel driver for it. I've not followed up but I'd /guess/
38 the problem is fixed by now. Still, it's worth trying that, and disabling
39 any other stuff (like USB possibly in a server environment, which it seems
40 you are in) you don't actually use.
41
42 Those are all shots in the dark, but this is mainly to say that what I
43 have here seems to work very well, at least since I fixed the memory
44 issue, which was simply generic memory not worth its rating and an
45 inability at the time to declock it in BIOS.
50 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
53 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list