From: Peter Hoff <petehoff@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Gentoo crashing?
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 12:45:38
1 I can't even get 2.6.21 to compile. I was getting unhappy about that, but perhaps I've been looking at it the wrong way?
4 ----- Original Message ----
5 From: Dustin C. Hatch <admiralnemo@××××××.com>
6 To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
7 Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2007 10:25:46 PM
8 Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Gentoo crashing?
16 I have been having that problem for quite some
17 time now. It was really bad when I upgraded to 2.6.21. I downgraded
18 back to 2.6.20-r4 and I haven't had near the problems. I am not sure
19 what it is, but you aren't the only one with that problem.
23 Peter Davoust wrote:
24 Ok, I just conquered my gdm issues in a previous thread,
25 and now I'm finding that gentoo is crashing on me! Twice so far, gentoo
26 has crashed at fairly inappropriate times. I've used gentoo before, and
27 not once has it crashed meaninglessly. First, I think I was listing a
28 directory, and it totally froze, and then the second time I was
29 unzipping a bzipped archive of the latest kernel sources and it came to
30 a dead halt. I had to hard reboot the machine, it wasn't fun. I'm
31 starting to get worried, especially since if it can't handle a little
32 tar.bz2 file, then it certainly can't emerge anything. I'm sure you'll
33 be wanting some logs, and I'll get them to you next time I boot gentoo.
34 I've got 2 gig of RAM, and a dual core processor, so those aren't the
35 problem, and my hard drive has plenty of free space (talking gigs
36 here), so that's not it either. It sounds like it's something really
37 obvious that I'm overlooking, but I don't understand how it could just
38 stop. Even the normal clicking associated with the processor "thinking"
39 just halts. Isn't that weird?
43 -Peter
49 Dustin C. Hatch
50 http://www.dchweb.com