From: Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] G2 on an HP dv5000... need help w/ WiFi and Ethernet
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 18:24:33
lspci is part of pciutils, running "emerge pciutils" should produce it.
running "ls -l /lib/modules" should produce a directory name in the
format '2.6.15-gentoo-r5' exact name depending on what kernel you
compiled. running
"
find  /lib/modules/2.6.15-gentoo-r5 -type f -iname '*.o' -or -iname
'*.ko'
"
(where "2.6.15-gentoo-r5" is replaced by your kernel name and all is
typed on one line) will produce the list of modules you compiled with
the kernel.
from the handbook:7.e. Configuring Kernel Modules

Configuring the Modules

You should list the modules you want automatically loaded
in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6. You can add extra options to the
modules too if you want.

To view all available modules, run the following find command. Don't
forget to substitute "<kernel version>" with the version of the kernel
you just compiled:

Code Listing 18: Viewing all available modules

# find /lib/modules/<kernel version>/ -type f -iname '*.o' -or -iname '*.ko'

For instance, to automatically load the 3c59x.o module, edit the
kernel-2.6 file and enter the module name in it.

Code Listing 19: Editing /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6

# nano -w /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
Code Listing 20: /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6

3c59x

On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 11:26 -0500, Charles Read wrote:
> Hey everybody! > > I just got an HP Pavillion dv5000 with the Turion 64 chip, I used > the gentoo x86-64 discs and the install went well
the livecd was 2006.0 or 2005.?
> , the system boots > fine. But gentoo doesnt recognize my built-in wifi (by Broadcom I > think, but I can't seem to find out which chipset it uses)
run lspci and see if it identifies the wifi was kernel configured to support wifi? and your card?
> and it > also doesnt recognize my ethernet card (I think a Realtek 8139 > 810x ),
run lspci and see if it identifies the ethernet card
> I have tried 'modprobe 8139cp'
this this will produce only if the kernel was configured for 8139C+ (10/100mbit) support as a module and the card is 8139C+
> but ifconfig shows only lo.
run modprobe 8139too, this will produce only if the kernel was configured for 8139 support as a module and the card is 8139/8129/810x run modprobe r8169, this will produce only if the kernel was configured for 8169 (gigabit) support as a module and the card is 8169
-- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list