From: Marco Matthies <marco-ml@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Java memory management
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:02:09
1 Felipe Ribeiro wrote:
2 > When running Java on my gentoo amd64 box, 1gb of memory isn`t enough
3 > to run eclipse and tomcat, i get some OutOfMemory errors. Is there any
4 > known problem on memory management related to java and linux amd64?
5 >
6 > I`ve tried to use a 32bit vm, but the problem persists.
7
8 Hi,
9
10 my memory is a bit hazy on this, but I believe i once had similar
11 problem with azureus and sun's jvm (and blackdown's i think). The
12 problem was basically that java has a maximum memory pool size set to 64
13 MB. You can change it with java -Xmxn, where n could be 128m for 128
14 Megabytes (see `man java` for the details). For azureus there is a file
15 ~/.azureus/gentoo.config where you can add parameters for the jvm to the
16 environment var JAVA_OPTIONS. Maybe it works similarily in eclipse/tomcat.
17
18 While doing a short google i also found these:
19 http://tomcat.apache.org/faq/memory.html
20 http://dev.eclipse.org/newslists/news.eclipse.tools.ve/msg06292.html
21
22 In the posts regarding eclipse someone mentions adding the parameter
23 -XX:MaxPermSize=128M to eclipse.ini. Unfortunately i cannot verify all
24 of this as i do not use eclipse or tomcat, so YMMV :)
25
26 Marco
27 --
28 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list