From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Cleaning /tmp directory takes an irrational quantity of time
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 18:58:48
1 On 7/27/06, Rafael Barrera Oro <rafael@××××××××××××××××.ar> wrote:
2 > I ran the commands without any problems and the disk seems to work fine,
3 > can i just remove those 2 lines from the bootmisc script until i find a
4 > better solution? or is it kind of a tactic a redneck that came from
5 > Texas Chainsaw Massacre would use? :P
6
7 Well, it is hackish, but it might be the right thing to do. Actually,
8 what I could recommend as a debugging step is to:
9
10 1) comment out those two lines
11 2) reboot to single user mode (add 'single' to the kernel options at
12 the grub prompt)
13 3) run the two commands manually under strace:
14
15 strace -f -tt -s256 -o strace-rm-1.txt \
16 rm -f /tmp/.X*-lock /tmp/esrv* /tmp/kio* /tmp/jpsock.* /tmp/.fam*
17
18 strace -f -tt -s256 -o strace-rm-2.txt \
19 rm -rf /tmp/.esd* /tmp/orbit-* /tmp/ssh-* /tmp/ksocket-* /tmp/.*-uni
20
21 The strace will list all system calls that rm makes with timestamps,
22 so you can see where the delays are coming from. Feel free to send me
23 the strace-rm-*.txt files directly if you want another pair of eyes to
24 look them over.
25
26 -Richard
27 --