From: "Ângelo Miguel Arrifano" <miknix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Compiz-Fusion and amd64
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 19:01:09
1 On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 19:24:11 +0100
2 "Hemmann, Volker Armin" <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > On Freitag, 2. November 2007, Mark Haney wrote:
5 >
6 > if you are using a nvidia 8xxx card, performance is extremly low - see the
7 > threads on nvnews.
8 >
9 > I installed the latest compiz - and it really does not work. Oh I can maximize
10 > and minimize windows. But I can't change size, move them or do anything else.
11 >
12 > This is something new with latest compiz-fusion and my 8600GT.
13 >
14 > So from my POV: compiz is not worth the space it occupies on the harddisk. And
15 > even when it runs I only use it for some minutes - because after some time
16 > wobbly windows, fire-effect&co really get my nervers....
17 >
18 > --
19 > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
22 I'm using a nvidia 8400GS card. Beryl performance isn't bad. But effects tend to lag due to some reason.
23 I think it's related to nvidia Coolbits and/or automatic GPU Freq. Not really sure.
24 Every single effect lags at start. But, if some effect is already going on and I start another one, the new one won't lag.
25 This really makes me believe it's something related to GPU clock. When computer is IDLE and I start a effect, the clock rate is LOW and effect goes SLOW, but right after, it looks like the GPU clock rate increases and the effect goes OK.
26
27 And it's not only on Beryl. I'm using XFCE with composite enabled for having transparent windows.. Every time I move a window with transparency, the move operation itself is SLOW on the beginning and then goes OK.
28
29 OpenGL performance with this card is great as you can see with Tremulous and Alien Arena games.
30
31 I hope next nvidia drivers fixes this issue.
32 --
33 Angelo Arrifano AKA MiKNiX
34 CSE Student at UBI, Portugal
35 Gentoo Linux AMD64 Arch Tester
36 miknix@×××××.com
37 http://miknix.homelinux.com
38 PGP Pubkey online
39
40 - -
41 Love is an obsessive delusion that is cured by marriage.
42 -- Dr. Karl Bowman
43 --
44 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list