From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] KDE and kdeprefix
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 19:54:46
1 > On Donnerstag 11 Juni 2009, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > > > On Donnerstag 11 Juni 2009, Markos Chandras wrote:
3 > > > > > Barring the somewhat humorous ending to this warning from my latest
4 > > > > > updates to KDE, I'm a little concerned by the import of the
5 > > > > > message. Can someone enlighten me?
6 > > > > >
7 > > > > >
8 > > > > > * WARNING! You have kdeprefix useflag enabled.
9 > > > > > * This setting is strongly discouraged and might lead to potential
10 > > > > > troubles * with KDE update strategies.
11 > > > > > * You are using this setup at your own risk and kde team does not
12 > > > > > * take responsibilities for dead kittens.
13 > > > > >
14 > > > > >
15 > > > > > What update strategies are being considered that would break by
16 > > > > > using this? And was this a KDE message directly? Or is this a
17 > > > > > warning from the Gentoo KDE devs?
18 > > > >
19 > > > > This is a warning message from Gentoo KDE devs . kdeprefix is a
20 > > > > gentoo thingie and it not supported by official KDE upstream. Thus I
21 > > > > might not work that well. It is only advised to use it if you want to
22 > > > > have kde:4.2 and :live together. I would recommend to disable it
23 > > > > globally and run emerge -uDN world
24 > > >
25 > > > and I wouldn't touch it and ignore the message.
26 > > >
27 > > > kde has a long history of not installing into /usr directly - and that
28 > > > was always a good thing.
29 > >
30 > > The message exists there for a reason. It is up to the user whether he
31 > > ignores it or not. As a member of Gentoo KDE team I would advice him to
32 > > drop kdeprefix
33 >
34 > why? to make it harder to clean up after a mess? so that future kde
35 > versions trip over each other?
36 Mess? Ok. I wont argue. He know his options and he can make his choices
37 --
38 Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
39 Gentoo Linux Developer [KDE/Qt/Sunrise/Sound]
40 Web: http://hwoarang.silverarrow.org