From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Machine recommendations?
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 06:14:48
1 Thanasis posted on Sat, 14 Mar 2015 14:35:47 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > I think you should ask others using it as router about what its
4 > practical mean power consumption is, when only doing a routing job.
5
6 Some of the guys in the media-player-machine thread I mentioned in my
7 reply to rich0, have killawatt meters or the like. Many were actually
8 running on a 90W supply, with measured wattage topping out at about 50.
9
10 I rather suspect the quad-port NIC will double that, but certainly that
11 250W that newegg was bundle-offering should cover it, and a 120W or so
12 /might/, tho I'll definitely do more research on quad-port-NIC power-draw
13 before I go much below 250.
14
15 I do like the size of that small case on newegg, and the card profile
16 (another thing I was worried about that I checked, tho just with the one
17 card so far) would fit, but it does have less ventilation than I'd like.
18 It should certainly be "enough"... with fans... but it might be noisy.
19 Passive would be nice, but that'll likely mean bigger/heavier/costlier.
20 But a somewhat larger (relative to mITX anyway) case should be easy
21 enough to stick a few larger/slower/near-silent fans in...
22
23 This is, however, one reason I tend to do my case shopping at frys. For
24 something like that, I like to be a bit more touchy/fealy before buying
25 than inet purchases allow.
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman