From: Martin Herrman <martin@×××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Is /proc/cpuinfo showing the actual frequency ?
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 07:48:52
1 2009/2/19 Thanasis <thanasis@××××××××××.org>
2
3 > # uname -a
4 > Linux wolfdale 2.6.28-gentoo-r2 #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Feb 18 13:53:22 EET
5 > 2009 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz GenuineIntel
6 > GNU/Linux
7 >
8 > Overclocked the core 2 duo (E8400) from 3 to 4GHz using motherboard
9 > BIOS settings. In mswindblows I can see the overclocked frequency
10 > (when cpu is under load), in linux /proc/cpuinfo never shows beyond the
11 > stock 3GHz value.
12 >
13 > Q: Is /proc/cpuinfo showing the actual frequency?
14 >
15 > # cat cpuinfo
16 > processor : 0
17 > vendor_id : GenuineIntel
18 > cpu family : 6
19 > model : 23
20 > model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
21 > stepping : 10
22 > cpu MHz : 2997.000
23 > cache size : 6144 KB
24 > physical id : 0
25 > siblings : 2
26 > core id : 0
27 > cpu cores : 2
28 > apicid : 0
29 > initial apicid : 0
30 > fpu : yes
31 > fpu_exception : yes
32 > cpuid level : 13
33 > wp : yes
34 > flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
35 > cmov
36 > pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm
37 > constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl
38 > vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 xsave lahf_lm tpr_shadow
39 > vnmi flexpriority
40 > bogomips : 8099.96
41 > clflush size : 64
42 > cache_alignment : 64
43 > address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
44 > power management:
45 >
46 > processor : 1
47 > vendor_id : GenuineIntel
48 > cpu family : 6
49 > model : 23
50 > model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
51 > stepping : 10
52 > cpu MHz : 2997.000
53 > cache size : 6144 KB
54 > physical id : 0
55 > siblings : 2
56 > core id : 1
57 > cpu cores : 2
58 > apicid : 1
59 > initial apicid : 1
60 > fpu : yes
61 > fpu_exception : yes
62 > cpuid level : 13
63 > wp : yes
64 > flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
65 > cmov
66 > pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm
67 > constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl
68 > vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 xsave lahf_lm tpr_shadow
69 > vnmi flexpriority
70 > bogomips : 8099.74
71 > clflush size : 64
72 > cache_alignment : 64
73 > address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
74 > power management:
77 I have noticed exactly the same while overclocking my Q9300 from it's stock
78 2.5 GHZ to 3.2 GHZ. Compilation / encode transactions do take much less
79 time, so I assume that the BIOS information is correct and the /proc/ entry
80 is false.