From: Dmitri Pogosyan <pogosyan@×××××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Hurray! Radeon KMS in 2.6.31
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 22:26:22
1 >
2 > As I said, it was quite the rough ride. But that was nearing the end of
3 > April, and things have been better since. Hopefully Radeon won't be
4 > quite as bad. We'll see I guess.
5
6 I am with Intel laptop since last September and passed through all of that.
7 It actually was not that bad, aspecially given that I don't need 3D
8 functionality much (although I tried to keep it in best working state)
12 > As for the last question, the example of external display mode, at
13 > minimum, it shouldn't regress (except for temporary regressions of the
14 > type Keith explained in his blog). The xorg folks have put an enormous
15 > amount of work into hotplug, and they won't be letting that go just for
16 > this. I'm not entirely sure on this, but from my understanding, X will
17 > still be in control of the modes. It'll simply use the kernel's EDID/DDC
18 > detection instead of its own to see what modes are there (and whether any
19 > additional modes as configured will work within the detected card and
20 > monitor parameters) and to do the actual mode switches, but it'll be
21 > telling the kernel what mode to use, tho the default will be native/
22 > primary mode for both the CLI/text framebuffer and X initially, thus no
23 > mode change switching between them.
24
25 Interestingly, I don't care much about VT switching (well, no flickering is
26 nice, but I switch perhaps once every few days), nor security (I use X for 16
27 years already from the epoch of X-terminals, and never really heard of any
28 specific case when X was used to break in mind doing any damage, again its
29 nice to be safer, but overall it seems like red herring) nor that much about
30 framebuffer resolution because I got may native 1440x900 from vesafb just fine.
31
32 Multimonitor functionality is, however, a must. Think laptop as a presentation
33 tool. So I wonder how kernel will deal with two different resolutions on
34 separate pipes, whether one can force it to a specific mode (which sometimes
35 needed with this bloody projectors), I mean all this xrandr type mode-related
36 functionality. Hopefully this is all well though through and there will be no
37 extended period when it somehow does not work.