From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Unexpected side effect of GCC 4
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 10:16:38
1 On Wednesday 08 November 2006 15:17, Duncan wrote:
2 > Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk> posted
3 > > I decided on an even simpler approach. As I don't really want all the
4 > > other stuff in /var/tmp to evaporate every time I shut down, I put /tmp
5 > > on tmpfs, with this entry in /etc/fstab:
6 > >
7 > > tmpfs /tmp tmpfs nodev,nosuid,size=85% 0 0
8 >
9 > Does the 85% actually work as implied? If so, I just learned something
10 > new. =8^)
11
12 Can't say yet. I got the info
13 from /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/tmpfs.txt.
14
15 > > Then I added these entries to /etc/make.conf:
16 > > BUILD_PREFIX="/tmp/portage/build" # not sure I need this
17 >
18 > I don't think you do. I don't have that var set here.
19
20 I was being cautious, having seen hints that setting a directory name
21 doesn't necessarily also set any others below it.
22
23 > PORTAGE_TMPFS is a fairly new setting that may not have made it to stable
24 > portage yet. It doesn't appear to have made it into the make.conf manpage
25 > yet, but from make.conf.example:
26
27 [...]
28
29 Thanks - there's always one more place to look :-(
30
31 > Interesting [that PKG_TMPDIR] doesn't seem to be documented, and
32 > PORTAGE_TMPFS is in make.conf.example, but not in the make.conf manpage.
33 > I should file a bug.
34
35 Perhaps. I may also complain about the inconsistency that some directory
36 specifications are literal while others point to a directory above where
37 data will actually be used.
40 Rgds
41 Peter
42 --