From: "P.V.Anthony" <pvantony@×××××××××××.sg>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Is there any difference with 4 core?
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 02:38:32
1 On this day, 02-August-2007 10:27 PM, Bob Sanders wrote:
2 > P.V.Anthony, mused, then expounded:
3 >> I must say that I love the intel drivers for the network and sata. If
4 >> only amd has some chip sets for their own cpus and good open source
5 >> drivers for their chip sets. Intel has that covered and I think the
6 >> intel drivers are open source.
9 > It's more the chipset than the drivers. The Intel GigE chip controller
10 > has a built-in tcp offload engine that removes cpu loading of network
11 > traffic, if enabled in the Linux kernel.
12 >
13 > Of the available chipsets for AMD support, only Nvidia has a proprietary
14 > driver, thus the need for the reverse engineered driver. Most non-Nvidia
15 > chipset platform for AMD use either Broadcom or Intel GigE chips. And the
16 > Broadcom drivers have been well tested over the years. So, other than
17 > TCP offload, I wouldn't avoid evaluating a specific option due to a concern
18 > about drivers.
19 >
20 > SATA - again with AMD you have some options - nVidia or Broadcom, either work fine,
21 > as does the Intel SATA controller. That said, be cautious of using the Intel
22 > software raid from the bios. I've not found it to be consistantly implemented,
23 > nor for it to always work well. Generally, unless a real hardware raid is offered,
24 > such as a LSI 1064 or 1068 SAS/SATA chip, stay with kernel supported software raid.
25 >
26 > And SATA in general, in rack mount enclosures, can suffer in performace, especially
27 > in 1U enclosures due to fan vibration. Inspect the fan mounting and insure that
28 > the fans are isolated from the chassis with rubber mounting bushings or grommits.
29 >
30 > And make sure the latest bios, bmc, and other firmware is installed and up to date!
31 > It's important.
32 >
33 > Don't confuse yourself by thinking that because Intel makes it's own chipset, that
34 > it's a better platform than anything available for AMD. Intel has two goals for
35 > making it's own chipset - vertical control of it's market, thus maximizing it's profit,
36 > and because OEMs don't want to have to think about having to do any real engingeering
37 > when putting their logo on a platform. AMD's being forced into the platform direction
38 > because of OEMs.
39 >
40 > ALso, consider that while Intel does have very good engineering, it's entire platform
41 > is proprietary. Only recently did it open up it's socket to counter AMD with
42 > programmable, pluggable ASICs.
43 >
44 > AMD on the other hand runs on an open bus architecture. So anyone can add things to it,
45 > with minimal licensing - making something for HyperTransport requires joining the
46 > consortium (and it's not part of AMD). So it open source is important, I'd think
47 > you'd want an open platform, where you get to choose the best infrastructure
48 > for your computing needs.
49 >
50 > Tyan offers both platforms to best meet what you think you're needs are. And you should
51 > look at those needs in that perspective. From your mix of apps, I'm not so sure the
52 > Intel platform is going to be the best. It really depends upon the overall mix. If
53 > you have more active database access than network traffic, then something with a higher
54 > sustained memory bandwidth, along with higher i/o bandwidth is going to provide much
55 > better performance. If the mix is mostly crunching on data retrieved, thus lots
56 > of FP or integer activity, than cpus with large caches and speed are more important.
57 >
58 > Typically, when compute power is more important to the mix, the Intel Core2 platform
59 > will perform the best. When memory and i/o bandwidth are important - database
60 > transactions, the AMD platform delivers a higher sustained bandwidth. And if
61 > the job mix is very peaky - lots of variations with long periods of lull time,
62 > the AMD platform will deliver overall power savings and require less cooling for
63 > a decrese in peak performance.
64 >
65 > Bob
66 > -
67
68 Thank you very much. Real cool advice. This information is really very
69 useful.
70
71 P.V.Anthony
74 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list