From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] firefox e10s tab crashes on accessing the net (not about: however)
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 14:53:28
1 When I enable firefox electrolysis (aka e10s) browser-internal pages such
2 as about:config, about:support, and about:addons, load, but nothing
3 actually on the web will load -- the progress bar goes all the way across
4 and just as the page appears to be parsing, TAB-CRASH, with the offer to
5 (try to) reload the page (which fails the same way).
6
7 This is regardless of whether I'm running with all extensions (which I've
8 spent quite some time on weeding out and replacing the non-e10s-
9 compatible ones, they're all reported compatible with multiprocess now)
10 enabled, all disabled, in safe mode, even after a firefox refresh.
11
12 I'm running the packages direct-downloaded and user installed (as opposed
13 to system install or normal gentoo build and install) from Mozilla, so
14 it's not a build error on my end.
15
16 I've been working on this for awhile, first trying the force-enabling
17 back on firefox 50 or so, then trying in safe mode and "refreshed" with
18 51 and now 52, and only just last nite getting the last incompatible
19 extension removed, so now it's getting frustrating as I have to force-
20 DISABLE it now, because otherwise I can't browse! Earlier this morning I
21 tried the beta (53b6) as well -- same problem.
22
23 Firefox works fine in single-process mode, tho of course if one tab
24 blocks that tends to freeze the whole thing, as could be expected in
25 single-process mode.
26
27 I'm wondering if the problem is firefox trying to use some sort of exotic
28 IPC method I don't have enabled in the kernel or something, since it only
29 appears to be a problem with e10s, not single-process.
30
31 Running firefox from a terminal window, this is the error I get:
32
33 [Parent 8379] WARNING: pipe error (89): Connection reset by peer: file /
34 home/worker/workspace/build/src/ipc/chromium/src/chrome/common/
35 ipc_channel_posix.cc, line 346
36
37 ###!!! [Parent][MessageChannel] Error:
38 (msgtype=0x2C0085,name=PBrowser::Msg_Destroy) Channel error: cannot send/
39 recv
42 Seeing the ipc_channel_posix.cc thing, I tried enabling
43 CONFIG_POSIX_MQUEUE in my kernel -- no luck.
46 To check to see if it's enabled, type about:support in the address bar,
47 then check the first section, applications basics, under multiprocess
48 windows. n/m where n is 0 is no, should have a reason. m appears to be
49 the number of windows so n/m where both numbers are equal and positive
50 indicates it's enabled for all windows.
51
52 Just having others confirm it's working for them, along with the firefox
53 version they're running and whether it's the mozilla binary or gentoo
54 build, would give me more info than I have now.
57 Meanwhile, for those who want to play with it and need further
58 information:
59
60 https://wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysis
61
62 For me tho it was the browser.tabs.remote.autostart2 and force-enable
63 settings (the latter of which I had to create myself, not just toggle).
64
65 Be sure you've backed up your profile, tho, just in case. It should be
66 located in ~/.mozilla/firefox or similar. Even tho I couldn't get to the
67 web I could still get to about:config to reset things, but being able to
68 replace the broken testing config with a normal backup in case things get
69 too out of hand is definitely nice. =:^)
74 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman