From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: system broken?
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 23:10:44
1 Martin Herrman wrote:
2 > Of course (using Gentoo now for a month or so), I don't have buildpkg
3 > in my config. So I used the manual on the URL you provided. It says
4 > that one should emerge portage first to get a correct system first.
5 > But when I do that, I get an error:
8 Yeah - once you break it you get stuck with the pieces. Somebody might
9 have a clever solution for you - if not your best best might be to find
10 a stage3 tarball off the distribution site and unpack it somewhere. In
11 there you'll find good (but stale) copies of anything you need.
12
13 If nothing else you can install the stage3 to a directory, then set up
14 your environment per the install guide and chroot to it. Then type
15 "quickpkg portage" to generate a binary package in /var/packages (within
16 the chroot). You can then use that binary package to reinstall portage.
17 Best way to do that is with emerge -k, but if that doesn't work you
18 can always just expand the tarball into your root. I'd re-emerge
19 portage just to clean up after doing that.
20
21 It could be something other than portage that is broken. If you're
22 still able to boot and generally function, it can't be anything too
23 critical (like glibc).
24
25 I wouldn't jump the gun on my stage3 idea - somebody else might have a
26 more clever and clean solution. However, I've cleaned up after a few
27 disasters via partial manual reinstalls. And if you just quickpkg
28 specific packages from your chroot you won't be overwriting files
29 en-masse. You could also update your chroot (emerge -uD system) and
30 then you wouldn't need to worry too much about copying over files left
31 and right. Just be careful not to wipe out your /etc files (fstab and
32 passwd come to mind) by copying them from the stage3.