From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: emerge --resume question
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 21:20:06
1 "Mark Haney" <mhaney@××××××××××××.org> posted
2 48A33D3B.9090000@××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Wed, 13 Aug 2008
3 15:59:55 -0400:
4
5 > Typically when I do a massive upgrade (like to KDE) I fetch the files
6 > down, then do the emerge later when I don't need internet access
7 > necessarily. However, this time I started the upgrade to KDe4.1 without
8 > doing that.
9 >
10 > What I want to know is, is it possible for me to do an emerge -f
11 > --resume to fetch the packages I need /before/ resuming the emerge, say
12 > later tonight?
13
14 I don't believe so. Even if it worked, that would cross the packages off
15 the resume list as they were fetched, so you'd no longer be able to
16 resume the full merge.
17
18 However, if you have FEATURES=parallel-fetch turned on, portage will
19 start emerging the first package and while it's going, portage will be
20 fetching the other packages in the background. Depending on how long the
21 first merge takes and the speed of your net connection, and assuming
22 there's no fetch error, you may well have all the rest fetched by the
23 time the first one is finished.
24
25 But... I'm not sure you can change FEATURES in the middle of an emerge
26 either, and have them picked up for the rest of the session (including
27 for a --resume). If you had the feature turned on at the beginning, you
28 may well already have everything downloaded. =8^) If you didn't, well...
33 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman