From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: [OT?] Firefox-1.5.0.5 ebuild file size
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 17:24:03
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk> posted
3 > 200607311656.36538.mike@××××××××.uk, excerpted below, on Mon, 31 Jul 2006
4 > 16:56:35 +0100:
5 >
6 >> On Monday 31 July 2006 16:47, Atoms wrote:
7 >>>>> Nope. Works fine here.
8 >>>> Okay, next question is, how do I clean portage up (sanely) to allow a
9 >>>> re-download of the ebuild?
10 >>> just do `ebuild
11 >>> /usr/portage/www-client/mozilla-firefox/mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.5.ebuild
12 >>> digest` and then emerge
13 >> Err, no!
14 >> The size didn't match for a reason.
15 >>
16 >> Delete the ebuild, and sync again. From a different mirror if possible.
17 >
18 > My reaction too -- don't just blindly digest and emerge unless you are
19 > quite sure it's safe to do so (a dev explains it or you check viewcvs and
20 > verify that the one there is the same, plus verify that the ebuild isn't
21 > doing anything weird like retrieving "special" source
22 > from warez.and.crakz.r.us or the like).
23 >
24 > THE WARNING ABOVE, INCORRECT SIZE OR OTHER FAILURE TO VERIFY, COULD
25 > INDICATE A SECURITY ISSUE. SIMPLY REDIGESTING THE FAILED PACKAGE BYPASSES
26 > THE CHECKS AND COULD LEAVE YOUR GENTOO MACHINE CRACKED WIDE OPEN AND NO
27 > LONGER UNDER YOUR CONTROL!!
28 >
29 > I apologize for shouting, but your computer's security may depend on it.
30 > Don't do something stupid!
31 >
32 > In actuality, it's much more likely simply broken or even an entirely
33 > harmless difference like a missing newline or the like. However, you
34 > can't KNOW that, and with various server in the FLOSS community having
35 > already been found compromised, we know the crackers are trying, and it's
36 > not out of the realm of possibility that a Gentoo server could be
37 > compromised at some point. Thus, don't do something you might regret.
38 > Either hand verify the ebuild if you know how to, or wait a few hours to a
39 > day or two and the problem will probably have been resolved (or better,
40 > file a bug and report it, asking if it's legit).
43 Since I'm not as up to speed as I really want to be on manipulating
44 ebuilds and portage, I simply deleted the ebuild and re-sync'd, this one
45 came down fine and is compiling now. I thought about a bug report, but
46 I felt that to be too extreme a measure if I was the only person seeing
47 the problem. However, the information on the possible security issues
48 is quite appreciated, that method of infiltration never occurred to me,
49 so I will be even more careful from now on with this.
55 Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
56
57 Mark Haney
58 Sr. Systems Administrator
59 ERC Broadband