From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: udev problem
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 16:55:41
1 gigli@×××××××.se posted <43FB1705.5000908@×××××××.se>, excerpted below,
2 on Tue, 21 Feb 2006 14:35:01 +0100:
3
4 > i'm installing a new system since an upgrade of motherboard and
5 > processor. Under an emerge -e system do i got this message, it's the
6 > udev-079-r1
7 >
8 > !!! Digest verification Failed:
9 > !!! /usr/portage/sys-fs/udev/files/udev.permissions
10 > !!! Reason: Filesize does not match recordes size
11 >
12 > I have synced twice but o got the same problem, anyone has any soloution
13
14 Often, those issues resolve themselves in a few hours to a day. If a sync
15 catches a package update in-progress, occasionally, the changed file
16 will be available but the matching digest or manifest file won't be, or
17 the reverse (updated digest/manifest but not yet the datafile).
18
19 If you are still getting it a day later, check your sync server. It can
20 sometimes get out of sync on one or more files, and if you are always
21 getting the same sync server, that might be it. By default, portage uses
22 a sync pool and you get a random server from the pool, but if you've set
23 it to a specific server or if for some reason you keep getting the same
24 one and it's bad...
25
26 Of course, it's also possible something has been compromised, which is
27 what the digests are supposed to guard against and why it's not a good
28 idea to simply ebuild digest the new value. That's unlikely but possible.
29
30 If the issue continues more than a day and you've verified it's not a
31 single sync server issue, bugfile on the package (checking to see if a
32 similar bug has already been filed, naturally). If it's a sync
33 server issue, bugfile on that particular server.
34
35 BTW, I'm up to udev-84 here and I haven't synced for a few days, but I'm
36 on ~amd64 (~arch means unstable). You are probably running stable amd64.
37 You could try adding that package to /etc/portage/package.keywords (as
38 detailed in the handbook, I believe) with ~amd64, if you want to try a
39 newer version, and possibly avoid the permissions file issue -- at a
40 slight additional risk of problems, but many including myself run their
41 entire system ~arch, without serious issues most of the time. It's up to
42 you, of course.
47 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
48 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
52 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list