From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] AMD64 - 2.6.14-rc2-rt7 - great for real time audio
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:48:46
1 Hi,
2 For folks that are interested in this sort of stuff yesterday I
3 built linux-2.6.14-rc2-rt7 on my NForce4/Gentoo AMD64 system. I've
4 been running Jack and streaming audio for hours now at 128/2 with no
5 xruns, all while browsing the web and doing emerges. So far the
6 results are very promising. SATA drive usage had been creating xrun
7 problems, but that's not there in this kernel, at least at 128/2. I'm
8 using both SATA and 1394 drives for the audio. For kicks at the same
9 time I'm playing a movie using xine with my EIDE DVD drive and the
10 on-board NVidia sound chip. No xruns at all even though I'm using
11 SATA, 1394 and EIDE all at the same time.
12
13 Check it out if your interested. I used 2.6.13, patched with
14 patch-2.6.14-rc2 and then patched that with patch 2.6.14.-rc2-rt7.
15 Configuring the kernel was NOT easy in my case, but I eventually got
16 it going and I'm happy I did.
17
18 I tried ck-sources but didn't have any luck. Too bad as I like the
19 email list. Very helpful folks.
20
21 Too bad we don't have an official or even semi-official
22 gentoo-rt-audio-sources project for kernels like this/
23
24 Cheers,
25 Mark
28 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list