From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Problem with USB-Keyboard at Install
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 15:00:08
1 On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 9:46 PM, Gerhard Erker 1<aon.913247124@×××.at> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >>
4 >>    Unfortunately you really didn't provide the portion of your
5 >> configuration that is most likely going to be the issue which is your
6 >> chipset.
7 >>
8 >>    It may be that you need a BIOS update to get full support for USB
9 >> keyboards. My son has an Asus MB with an Intel Quad-Core and we never
10 >> managed to install win XP with the USB keyboard. We did the install
11 >> with a PS2 keyboard and then shifted over to USB when it was done. On
12 >> the other hand I've got some older x86 machines that installed just
13 >> fine with USB.
14 >>
15 >> - Mark
19 > Hello Mark,
20 >
21 > I can use the keyboard when the first message is there. So I can use the
22 > hardware options. When the gentoo-kernel is booting, i have no keyboard.
23 > I used doscsi because the handbook says that this option is used to boot
24 > the most usb-devices, because they use the scsi subsystem of the kernel.
25 > I tried it both ways.
26 > Other configuration:
27 >
28 > ASUS Mainboard, Socket 775 Intel G31 Chipset
29 > Networkcard on board Attansic Gigabit ethernet
30 > Audio Realtek ALC662 6-Channel High Definition
33 > I cannot understand why my keyboard not works. It works not only on an
34 > desktop or with windows. It also worked, when I was in console mode, or
35 > when I worked in the repair mode of windows xp installation cd. It works
36 > also when I change options in bios.
37 > I will try with the options you suggested.
38 > I think, my last options will be to plug in my old ps2-keyboard for
39 > install and after install try to use my keyboard. I have a working
40 > system so it is not so important to bring gentoo in a short time to
41 > work.
42 > Many thanks for your help. I would be glad to hear more ideas
43 >
44 > Bye
45 >
46 > Gerhard Erker
47
48 Because you can use the keyboard to select which kernel you want to
49 boot and which hardware options then it means there is enough
50 functionality in BIOS to support the USB keyboard. Possibly a BIOS
51 update might help, but it seems unlikely to me.
52
53 My son's motherboard is an Asus also. Using a PS2 keyboard is what we
54 had to do here also, even for XP.
55
56 You should try Kyle's suggestion of hot-plugging your USB keyboard.
57 Maybe that will wake up USB hardware that somehow the boot process has
58 put to sleep?
59
60 Good luck.