From: Harry Holt <harryholt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Soliciting new RAID ideas
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 22:58:46
1 On May 27, 2014 6:39 PM, "Bob Sanders" <rsanders@×××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Mark Knecht, mused, then expounded:
4 > > Hi all,
5 > > The list is quiet. Please excuse me waking it up. (Or trying to...)
6 ;-)
7 > >
8 > > I'm at the point where I'm a few months from running out of disk
9 > > space on my RAID6 so I'm considering how to move forward. I thought
10 > > I'd check in here and get any ideas folks have. Thanks in advance.
13 > Beware - if Adobe acroread is used, and you opt for a 3TB home
14 > directory, there is a chance it will not work. Or more specifically,
15 > acroread is still 32-bit. It's only something I've seen with the xfs
16 > filesystem. And Adobe has ignored it for approx. 3yrs now.
17 >
18 > > The system is a Gentoo 64-bit, mostly stable, using a i7-980x
19 > > Extreme Edition processor with 24GB DRAM. Large chassis, 6 removable
20 > > HD bays, room for 6 other drives, a large power supply.
21 > >
22 > > The disk subsystem is a 1.4TB RAID6 built from five SATA2 500GB WD
23 > > RAID-Edition 3 drives. The RAID has not had a single glitch in the 4+
24 > > years I've used this machine.
25 > >
26 > > Generally there are 4 classes of data on the RAID:
27 > >
28 > > 1) Gentoo (obviously), configs backed up every weekend. I plan to
29 > > rebuild from scratch using existing configs if there's a failure.
30 > > Being down for a couple of days is not an issue.
31 > > 2) VMs - about 300GB. Loaded every morning, stopped & saved every
32 > > night, backed up every weekend.
33 > > 3) Financial data - lots of it - stocks, futures, options, etc.
34 > > Performance requirements are pretty low. Backed up every weekend.
35 > > 4) Video files - backed up to a different location than items 1/2/3
36 > > whenever there are changes
37 > >
38 > > After eclean-dist/eclean-pkg I'm down to about 80GB free and this
39 > > will fill up in 3-6 months so it's time to make some changes.
40 > >
41 > > My thoughts:
42 > >
43 > > 1) Buy three (or even just two) 5400 RPM 3TB WD Red drives and go with
44 > > RAID1. This would use the internal SATA2 ports so it wouldn't be the
45 > > highest performance but likely a lot better than my SATA2 RAID6.
46 > >
47 > > 2) Buy two 7200 RPM 3TB WD Red drives and an LSI logic hardware RAID
48 > > controller. This would be SATA3 so probably way more performance than
49 > > I have now. MUCH more expensive though.
52 > RAID 1 is fine, RAID 10 is better, but comsumes 4 drives and SATA ports.
53 >
54 > > 3) #1 + an SSD. I have an unused 120GB SSD so I could get another,
55 > > make a 2-disk RAID1, put Gentoo on that and everything else on the
56 > > newer 3TB drives. More complex, probably lower reliability and I'm not
57 > > sure I gain much.
58 > >
59 > > Beyond this I need to talk file system types. I'm fat dumb and
60 > > happy with Ext4 and don't really relish dealing with new stuff but
61 > > now's the time to at least look.
64 > If you change, do not use ZFS and possibly BTRFS if the system does not
65 > have ECC DRAM. A single, unnoticed, ECC error can corrupt the data pool
66 > and be written to the file system, which effectively renders it corrupt
67 > without a way to recover.
68 >
69 > FWIW - a Synology DS414slim can hold 4 x 1TB WD Red NAS 2.5" drives and
70 > provide a boot of nfs or iSCSI to your VMs. The downside is the NAS box
71 > and drives would go for a bit north of $636. The upside is all your
72 > movies and VM files could move off your workstation and the workstation
73 > would still host the VMs via a mount of the NAS box.
74
75 +1 for the Synology NAS boxes, those things are awesome, fast, reliable,
76 upgradable (if you buy a larger one), and the best value available for
77 iSCSI attached VMs.
80 > > Anyway, that's the basic outline. Any thoughts, ideas, corrections,
81 > > expansions, etc., I'm very interested in talking about.
82 > >
83 > > Cheers,
84 > > Mark
87 > --