From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Disable SPP On GCC-4.8.3
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 05:24:25
1 On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 00:06:35 -0500
2 Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> skribis:
5 > It's amazing how people become nearly apoplectic whenever they encounter
6 > a case of a user running entirely as root.
9 > It’s no worse than running MSDOS, and it’s
10 > typical practice when running from, for instance, a rescue disk. The
11 > main risk is accidentally deleting or overwriting things, not
12 > break-ins.
15 You can completely eliminate accidental deletions or overwrites
16 as root by using the extended file attributes. For example, on
17 an ext2/3/4 file system, the command "chattr +i files..." will
18 prevent all modifications, links, deletions, or overwrites to the
19 selected files. The "i" attribute is the "immutable" attribute
20 and is very nice to have.
21
22 To delete such files just clear the "i" bit. (I have set up
23 a script in Midnight Commander where I can render files
24 immutable or mutable with a quick keystroke.)
25
26 Frank Peters