From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] KDE 3.5.10 konqueror and gcc 4.4.0
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 23:05:25
1 So yesterday I recompiled the entire system with gcc 4.4.0. Great. Only
2 a couple packages failed to compile after minimal tweaks (usually simply
3 just retrying, I think a few packages may not have full dependencies so
4 they wouldn't build until further along in the rebuild cycle).
5
6 But, kde/konqueror 3.5.10 now likes to die unexpectedly rendering some
7 URLs. It'll launch, I can see the download dialog, then the konqueror
8 window appears briefly, then dies. Clicking the same link (in
9 knewsticker) will try again. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't,
10 same link. Some sites (like /.) are much worse than others, with some
12 click the knewsticker link 2-4 times to get it to load, for nearly every
13 link.
14
15 It's not the feedburner redirect either, as once I do get a troublesome
16 page loaded and thus have the URL to the page itself, I can try loading
17 that again and get crashes too.
18
19 In addition, sometimes a link clicked within konqueror will crash it.
20 Again, it seems to be the actual rendering, after it has the new page.
21 But this doesn't seem to be quite as frequent as the initial-click issue.
22
23 I tried loading konqueror (with a troublesome link) from a konsole
24 window, to see if it spit out anything informative on STDOUT/STDERR as it
25 crashed, no luck. It still crashes most of the time on troublesome
26 links, but without spitting out anything informative as its dying.
27
28 I suspect gcc 4.4 compiled something wrong, but before I start trying to
29 recompile various bits (kdebase, libkonqueror, konqueror, maybe others) I
30 thought I'd ask to see if there are other KDE 3.5 users who've tried gcc
31 4.4 compiles on their entire system, and if they're seeing similar issues
32 or not.
33
34 It's not too bad as I can always load iceweasel, or KDE 4.2's konqueror
35 tho the latter still tends to screw kde3's ksycoca database until I
36 rebuild it again, but it's irritating as kde3 and its konqueror remain my
37 primary desktop and browser.
42 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman