From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: KDE menu problem
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 03:51:52
1 "Mark Haney" <mhaney@××××××××××××.org> posted
2 455A4A0B.2030202@××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Tue, 14 Nov 2006
3 17:58:19 -0500:
4
5 > I updated a couple of packages today (I removed esound and kde-env
6 > because it was blocking kde 3.5.5) and now my KDE menus are all FUBAR.
7 > I tried to run kbuildsycoca and I get the following:
8 >
9 > kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
10 > '/home/markh/.local/share/applications/mplayer-bin.desktop' specifies
11 > undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-aac'
12 > kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
13 > '/home/markh/.local/share/applications/mplayer-bin.desktop' specifies
14 > undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/m4a'
15 > kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
16 > '/home/markh/.local/share/applications/mplayer-bin.desktop' specifies
17 > undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-m4a'
18 > kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
19 > '/home/markh/.local/share/applications/mplayer-bin.desktop' specifies
20 > undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/mp1'
21 > kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
22 > '/home/markh/.local/share/applications/mplayer-bin.desktop' specifies
23 > undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-mp1'
24 > kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
25 > '/home/markh/.local/share/applications/mplayer-bin.desktop' specifies
26 > undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/mp2'
27 > kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
28 > '/home/markh/.local/share/applications/mplayer-bin.desktop' specifies
29 > undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/mpg'
32 > I'm assuming because I remove kde-env, that that has killed my menus?
33 > Will this fix itself if I update to kde 3.5.5?
34
35 It did here. I upgraded to 3.5.5 I think the day after it was released.
36 On starting KDE (from a CLI login not from xdm/kdm/gdm/whatever), I get a
37 bunch of complaints about undefined mimetypes similar to those above, but
38 everything continues to work. I think the problem is that nearly all my
39 menu entries are customized, and of course those don't change with the
40 installation, so as mimetypes change or get reassigned, my menu entries
41 have gone stale and no longer correspond with KDE's entries. However,
42 everything still works. The only thing that might have happened is that a
43 few of my filetype/mimetype associations got set back to the default, and
44 when I click them and the wrong thing pops up to open them, it's simple
45 enough to reconfigure it to the order I prefer once again.
50 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
53 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list