From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Sun and GPL
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 11:17:13
1 Isidore Ducasse <ducasse.isidore@×××××.com> posted
2 20070528024149.4f6d918c@Bazaar, excerpted below, on Mon, 28 May 2007
3 02:41:49 +0200:
4
5 > le Sun, 27 May 2007 23:32:49 +0000 (UTC) Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> a
6 > écrit:
7 >
8 >> They ARE considering dual-licensing Solaris under GPLv3, however, which
9 >> they've been working closely with the FSF on. Of course that's not a
10 >> given until it's out, but it'd definitely widen the interest base (I
11 >> for one may well be interested, especially if Linux stays GPLv2 only).
12 >
13 > You mean the bare kernel, right? Solaris' kernel could be an alternative
14 > to linux? Is the latter really different from the *BSD's? I've installed
15 > a NetBSD on my machine "for fun" recently (tho I switched back to using
16 > my good'ol gentoo, can't get used to anything else now. pkgsrc looks
17 > like a sympathetic old auntie); it appears to practice monolithic
18 > kernel. What would be different in running a GPLv3 kernel? I've read
19 > about the anti-DRM part of it; is there some other reason you/we could
20 > be interested in it?
21
22 BSS Jr's response covered much of what I would have covered, but I've a
23 bit to add in places.
24
25 What I think Sun may be angling for in their leaning towards releasing
26 OpenSolaris under the GPLv3, particularly since earlier the Linux kernel
27 devs were nearly unanimous in saying they weren't interested in moving to
28 the GPLv3 (as I said, based on the early drafts), is ideally to "Out-
29 Linux Linux", so to speak.
30
31 First, you may or may not have heard of Nexenta, or the Gentoo on
32 OpenSolaris port, etc. You also may or may not be aware that Gentoo/FBSD
33 is one of the other Gentoo Alt projects, from what I read coming along
34 reasonably well, too. =8^)
35
36 Basically, what many of these do is a variant of GNU/Linux, only in this
37 case, GNU/BSD or GNU/Solaris or GNU/whatever, with the GNU toolchain and
38 GNU based userland running on whatever other *ix kernel, be it FBSD,
39 Solaris, whatever. Debian does it. Gentoo does it. That's not new.
40
41 In fact, to some extent it's older than GNU/Linux, or at least older than
42 the popularization of GNU/Linux, back when Linux wasn't half the kernel
43 it is today, and was way under-featured and under-speced compared to the
44 Unixes of the time. Back then, while GNU had a relatively mature
45 userland, it lacked a good kernel. At the same time, many of the Unixes
46 (Solaris included, this was back around Solaris 2, thru Solaris 4 or so,
47 tho Linux was coming on strong by then) had solid kernels but aging and
48 hard to work with userlands. It therefore wasn't uncommon for people to
49 buy a Sun box, and essentially replace most of the Solaris userland tools
50 with GNU tools. If you read about the time, many people tell how the
51 first thing they did after they got Solaris up and running was install
52 the GNU tools, and pretty much never use the Solaris tools again.
53
54 So there's really some history to GNU/Solaris, and it's not as strange a
55 thought to /either/ side as it might appear to some of us newbies to the
56 scene.
57
58 Now that Sun seems to be "seeing the light" in terms of free and open
59 source software (note that they have a lot of code in a typical Linux
60 install already, Open/Star Office, Java, particularly on servers, they
61 are huge GNOME sponsors), and have already opened much of their Solaris
62 code under the CDDL as OpenSolaris, were they to go GPLv3, with the GNU
63 code ALSO licensed GPLv3 (after the official license comes out, of
64 course), /especially/ if the Linux kernel remains GPLv2 only, it's /
65 quite/ possible Stallman and the FSF might officially bless GNU/Solaris
66 and deemphasize GNU/HURD AND Linux. He/they might then see that as one
67 of the ways to encourage the use of GPLv3, in the face-off with Linux
68 staying GPLv2. Obviously, that could put a whole new twist on the way we
69 see the Free Software community.
70
71 That's the Solaris side. Now examine the side staying with GPLv2, if
72 Linux indeed does so. What's the future look like? Well, we have the
73 likes of Tivo, already making it impossible to run the so-called "open"
74 code on their hardware, due to code signing and not releasing the keys
75 necessary to run any user modifications on that hardware. Many people
76 predict that's the way DRM may head, the way of Intel/MS Palladium, aka
77 "Trusted Computing", as well. As another example, we have the HDMI
78 digital audio/video interface, designed to only run what is properly
79 licensed to run, or at least only allow it access to "privileged" data
80 such as media content.
81
82 Then we have the whole Novell/MS patent deal thing, where MS licenses its
83 technology to certain preferred Novell users, but not others, and not
84 those using other distributions. Further, MS says they won't sue
85 hobbyist developers as long as they only use the changes they make
86 themselves, not distributing them. Of course, that breaks the back of
87 the whole idea of Free Software. The GPLv2 doesn't have any direct
88 protection against such things, but the GPLv3 has been engineered in such
89 a way that if you use GPLv3 code covered by your patents, if you let
90 anybody else use it, any customers, etc, well then, it applies to all,
91 customer and non-customer alike.
92
93 So, the future looks like it could be pretty dark for freedom, if we
94 continue to depend on GPLv2. The license will practically be little
95 different than the 3-clause BSD license, as people will be able to
96 effectively close their code, with patent agreements exploiting the MS/
97 Novell loophole and hardware signed code verification Tivoizing things so
98 even with source, modified code won't run, even if they can't directly
99 close it. That kills the dynamic that has made Linux and a lot of GPLv2
100 code what it is. Without that dynamic, it could easily be headed for the
101 relatively quiet backwaters neighboring the BSDs, open source still, but
102 not (practically) forcing folks to contribute their changes back, thus
103 slowing down development.
104
105 Put those two together and you have what I think Sun is hoping for. If
106 the OpenSolaris kernel can become /the/ blessed GNU kernel, and Linux
107 says GPLv2 and gets BSDed, OpenSolaris could eventually eclipse Linux.
108 While it wouldn't be proprietary, and it's likely they'll have to open up
109 development even further in ordered for it to take off and become really
110 dominant, so other companies would contribute and could distribute it
111 just as they distribute Linux today, Sun would still be in a /very/ good
112 position.
113
114 I think that's the game they are playing, the ultimate goal they have in
115 mind. And yes, if they go GPLv3 with the Solaris kernel, and Linux stays
116 GPLv2, IMO it's quite possible it'll happen that way.
117
118 IMO, the Linux devs will ultimately realize this too, and have to choose
119 between marginalization and going GPLv3. In fact, from Linus' recent
120 comments, he seems to already be giving himself room to do that. Yes,
121 many of the issues he raised have been addressed, definitely making it
122 easier to come around, but he may be seeing this same game being played
123 out in his head too, and not particularly like its result.
124
125 > BTW isn't there a technical issue licensing a single version of a soft
126 > against two incompatible licenses? Or did you mean dual-licensing GPLv2
127 > and GPLv3?
128
129 It depends on who holds the copyrights. The copyright holder can license
130 however they please, and in fact distribute under a license that makes no
131 sense, if they wish to. It's the other people that have to live with the
132 legal uncertainty, and that uncertainty exists ONLY because if the
133 license isn't consistent, the copyright holder can yank permissions to
134 distribute or even continue to run the software at all (because at least
135 in the US, the act of loading into memory from disk or other permanent
136 storage has been held to be an act of copying, thus subject to copyright
137 restrictions and permissions).
138
139 However, this wouldn't ultimately be inconsistent. The idea is similar
140 to the business model used by Trolltech for Qt and by the MySQL guys for
141 it. In both cases, they dual (or more, triple...) license their software
142 GPL, and proprietary. The developer/user/distributor gets to choose
143 which of the two licenses they agree to. If they are going to free the
144 code of anything they build on it, great, the GPL license works just
145 fine. However, if they want to build proprietary tools on the dual-
146 licensed software, they can't use the GPL, and must pay the company in
147 question for a proprietary-commercial license, which generally costs a
148 significant amount of money.
149
150 This has in fact been a QUITE successful business model for Trolltech.
151 The open source guys develop stuff like KDE on Qt, which works as a
152 pretty convincing demonstration of the capacities of the toolkit, as well
153 as providing feedback and new features and bugfixes from the community.
154 Other companies see how effective Qt is, and how it could shorten and
155 improve their development process, and not willing to release their own
156 code, they must pay to buy a commercial license from Trolltech. Yet they
157 are happy to do so, because the return is far more than what they pay.
158 This in turn funds Trolltech to pay developers to continue to advance the
159 product, benefiting both their paying customers and the Free Software
160 side.
161
162 This model has in fact been SO successful for Trolltech that with Qt4,
163 they opened up the GPL licensing to apply to Qt on MSWindows as well --
164 it formerly applied only to the *ix platform. They'd not dare open up
165 the possibility of a free version on MS if the model wasn't already
166 demonstratedly working very well for them. In doing so, they've also
167 opened up the possibility of KDE on MS, and in fact, much of KDE 4 is
168 indeed going to run on and be available for MS Windows as well as Linux
169 and the other *ix platforms. (Not the entire thing. Most general KDE4
170 apps will run in MS, they say, but KDE as a unified environment is going
171 to remain *ix only, for both practical/technical and political reasons.
172 For example MSWindows already has a windowing system, so KDE's isn't
173 necessary. Thus, the full experience will remain a 'nix thing. That
174 said, Konqueror for example, could give Firefox some serious competition,
175 with its KHTML engine already being the basis of Apple Safari, so it'll
176 now run on all three platforms just as Firefox does, and people could
177 start with Konqueror and other KDE apps on MS, and continue using the
178 same things when they switch to Linux -- or OpenSolaris. =8^)
179
180 So anyway, as long as Sun holds its own copyrights, and/or has gotten
181 appropriate permission from the other owners where Sun doesn't hold them,
182 they can license however they please.
183
184 >> Of course Linus and the other kernel devs were originally very much
185 >> against early GPLv3 drafts.
186 >
187 > Is it a matter of diverging positions towards industrial partners/users?
188
189 I think Boyd covered that pretty well.
190
191 >> The Gentoo Java devs are working on it, but as I said, I don't believe
192 >> enough of the entire Java infrastructure has been released as GPL yet
193 >> to do the entire thing as sources. Even after it has, it'll take
194 >> several months as experimental ebuilds in the Java overlay (emerge
195 >> layman and read up on using it, if interested)
196 >
197 > Ok! Does anyone know the difference between the java-overlay and the
198 > java-gcj-overlay?
199
200 GCJ is GCC's Java compiler. Generally, it'd be for compiling Java
201 sources to arch-native code, not to the traditional VM targeted Java
202 bytecode. Thus, while it might be useful for someone wishing to compile
203 their Java app just as they would a C/C++/whatever app, to native binary
204 code to directly execute on their CPU, it's not particularly interesting
205 for someone primarily interested in Java as a browser VM.
206
207 Since you specifically mentioned Java as a browser VM, I therefore assume
208 you will be more interested in the standard java-overlay.
209
210 One word of caution, just in case you hadn't figured this out from what I
211 and others have already said. The Gentoo devs (and contributing users,
212 overlays give the flexibility to allow non-Gentoo-dev users more direct
213 access, if the devs in charge of the overlay trust them of course,
214 without the user having to go thru the entire Gentoo dev process) use the
215 java-overlay as a staging ground for working stuff up to standard Gentoo
216 tree quality. Some major changes go on there. It was used to work out
217 the switch to the new java-config arrangement before it hit the tree, for
218 instance. However, as the staging ground, it won't always work like the
219 unmasked stuff in the tree should work. At times, parts of it will be
220 broken, and you'll have to do some things manually in ordered to get
221 stuff to work, or unmerge it and go back to the stuff in the tree, if
222 it's too broken. It's there for users to use if they feel up to it,
223 hopefully to test and pitch in and help if they find stuff broken.
224 However, don't expect it to all just work all the time, because it's a
225 development overlay, and development is what happens there, including
226 breakage at times. If you are prepared to deal with that, well, go for
227 it! =8^)
232 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
235 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list