From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers,
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 20:32:15
1 On Mittwoch 26 August 2009, Duncan wrote:
2 By 4.2.4 (and I think for 4.2.0, maybe even
3 > 4.1.something), kde had fixed that. It now tries to detect if OpenGL
4 > will work before setting it, and normally won't let you set it if it
5 > thinks it won't work. You can override it, but in ordered to do so you
6 > have to click thru several warnings, and anybody doing that should be
7 > prepared to live with the consequences. One bug down, and a very bad one
8 > at that, so good work, kde.
11 no, it tries if composite works with the pre-selected composite type (either
12 ogl or xrender).
13
14 And to turn off this test you only have to unselect one checkbox - without
15 warnings. In fact, without that check composite works fine for me, while with
16 the check my box loves to lock up with some driver versions.
17
18 xrender on the other hand is just utterly broken beyond help.
21 > The one I had learned around, that still exists, is that while kde now
22 > detects OpenGL compatibility and won't let you switch to it without
23 > warnings if it thinks it won't work, on the all-effects tab (of the
24 > desktop effects settings applet), there's still no indication of what
25 > effects simply do nothing in xrender/composite-only mode.
26
27 except there is a warning popup when you enable composite telling you exactly
28 which stuff does not work. Like explosion.
31 > One thus has
32 > to trial-and-error enable and test anything that looks interesting one by
33 > one, and if it does nothing, preferably disable it again. If they won't
34 > work anyway in xrender/composite-only mode, they should be disabled in
35 > that mode, so only the effects that actually work are available to select
36 > and try.
37
38 even better, per default only effects that work on the vast majority of systems
39 are activated. If you are turning on the rest and they don't work you get a
40 nice warning message after clicking the 'apply' button. You then can unselect
41 them - or don't care because they are not used anymore.
44 > Since most don't work without OpenGL, showing them as available
45 > to try and then having them do nothing when people do just that, is
46 > confusing at best. Dim them out and don't let people select them in that
47 > case, and usability on that tab for Composite-only users would go up
48 > several hundred percent.
49
50 confusing?
51 'Following effects could not be enabled:
52 Explosion'
53
54 right after the test.
55 You can still enable them, in case the next driver update fixes that, the one
56 you are installing in five minutes or ignore them, because they do no harm
57 deactivated.
58
59 What is not nice about it? Non working stuff is just ignored - and told so. If
60 you choose to ignore the warnings - well, that is YOUR choice.
61
62 KDE is about choice, you know?
66 > After I got thru with the normal apps, I thought a bit about kwin, then
67 > killed the kde3 version, and launched the kde4 version, direct from
68 > konsole window. It worked! =:^)
69 >
70 > Well, sort of. kwin v4 launched just fine, and the colors as configured
71 > in systemsettings worked, and the kde4 kwin setting all took effect, but
72 > NOW THE SYSTEM WAS SLOW! I had found the first of the what turned out to
73 > be two performance issues.
74 >
75 > In Desktop Effects, All Effects tab, second from the bottom of the
76 > Appearance section, is Translucency. With it enabled (as I had it since
77 > it worked just fine on kde3), click on the wrench button to configure
78 > it. At the bottom of the left-hand column is Fading duration. This was
79 > my problem.
80 >
81 > On fading duration, if you hit the spinner, you'll note that each
82 > increment is 100 ms. I'm not sure what the default was, but it was WAY
83 > too high. While the obvious intent is that it's supposed to be the
84 > duration of the entire effect, it seems here as if it configures the
85 > duration for each step of the animation. What was obviously several
86 > hundred ms seemed to do that for each step, with the entire effect
87 > running for several seconds. Moving between one window and another just
88 > once, that worked, if it was slightly slow, but with several windows on
89 > the desktop and focus follows mouse (my default) set, it did NOT work, as
90 > now it was several seconds per transition, five, ten, twenty seconds
91 > after I stopped moving the mouse before the effects finished doing their
92 > thing! WAY WAY WAAAAYYY too slow!!
95 or you are using hardware that is way, way tooo slow. Or you are hit by the
96 backfill patch fallout. Or you are using hardware that was never meant for this
97 kind of stuff.
98
99 What is your graphics adapter again?
100
101 > The simple thing is to simply set that to instant, 0 ms. However, typing
102 > a specific value in the textbox also works, and I discovered that
103 > anything up to about 20ms was fine. But of course using the spinner, the
104 > resolution means 0 or 100ms, unless you type it in.
105
106 and you can type it in. Isn't that userfriendly?
107
108 > That was the last thing I could really configure from the kde3 desktop,
109 > so after that, it was time to actually try kde4 again, and see if it
110 > worked better now. Pretty much the only thing remaining to configure was
111 > the desktop itself, replacing kdesktop and kicker with plasma, when
112 > restarted X with the kde4 desktop. So that's what I did, hoping the kwin
113 > duration fix now had kde4 running smoothly. BUT KDE4 WAS STILL SLOW!!
114 >
115 > What could be the problem now? Turn off transparency just to check, sure
116 > enough the problem went away. But it couldn't be /just/ that, as that's
117 > a kwin v4 thing, and I had it running fine on kde3. So the problem now
118 > had to be the kde4 desktop itself, or rather, how it interacted with kwin.
119
120 no. You are wrong here. kwin3 does not have 'real' transparency. Hust fake
121 one. Fake one is pretty fast even on utterly broken hardware. Real
122 transparency is used by kwin4. And that needs at least sane drivers and not
123 hardware from yesrermillenium. You are comparing apples to oranges here.
127 > But guess who was one of the big users of the bad code? Right, plasma.
128 > Turns out that each plasmoid update was triggering a repaint, not for
129 > that relatively small rectangular area, BUT FOR THE ENTIRE CONTAINER.
130 > Now that's bad enough if it's a panel, but when that widget is on the
131 > desktop, ITS THE ENTIRE DESKTOP! Of course, when it's a dynamically
132 > updating plasmoid such as a temperature or CPU activity gauge, guess
133 > what, you're now repainting the entire desktop at every update of that
134 > plasmoid. And if there's several such plasmoids...
135
136 they do nothing with recent enough graphics hardware :P
139 > That's bad enough as it is, but when it's just the bare desktop, still
140 > tolerable. But now consider what happens when that's being filtered up
141 > thru multiple layers of semi-transparent windows! No *WONDER* people
142 > with older or not well accelerated graphics cards are having issues! And
143 > on a desktop the size of mine, say 1920x2200 after the panels top and
144 > bottom are removed, still running on a vintage Radeon 9200, that's a HUGE
145 > performance issue! No WONDER I was having problems with it!
146
147 and now we are getting down to the interessting facts.
148
149 The short version of all your text:
150
151 'I had tried some graphic demanding stuff, turned into a even bigger workload
152 by a small programming mistake on hardware that was even considered slow and
153 underpowered when it was released 6 years ago.'
156 > But meanwhile, its the stack of bugs such as this, that really shouldn't
157 > be appearing in an X.0 release let alone X.3, that's distressing. And
158 > it's even /more/ distressing when support for the previous very stable
159 > version is being dropped, before the current version even gets up to
160 > normal X.0 version quality, let alone the X.1 that many wait for before
161 > they consider it safe to switch.
162
163 you mean bugs that only hit when you use modern graphics on a 6 year old, slow
164 even then, graphic adapter?