From: David Fellows <fellows@×××.ca>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Alsa Config keeps disappearing
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 00:04:12
1 On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 11:49:34 -0400
2 sean wrote -
3 > Duncan wrote:
4 > > So you're saying that it only happens as a regular user?
5 > No, it happens exactly the same even if logged in as root.
6 > I just restarted and tested.
7 >
8 > > Just to check, your user is in the audio group, right?
9 > yes
10 >
11 > > What's the permissions on all the components in the /dev/snd dir? Check
12 > > both before and after running alsaconf, to see if there's a change,
13 > > either in devices listed or in permissions.
14 > >
15 > > Here's what I have here:
16 > >
17 > > ls -l /dev/snd
18 > > total 0
19 > > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 0 2009-06-30 14:05 controlC0
20 > > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 24 2009-06-30 14:05 pcmC0D0c
21 > > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 16 2009-07-01 07:26 pcmC0D0p
22 > > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 25 2009-06-30 14:05 pcmC0D1c
23 > > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 1 2009-06-30 14:05 seq
24 > > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 33 2009-06-30 14:05 timer
27 > Mine before running alsaconf
28 >
29 > ls -l /dev/snd
30 > total 0
31 > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 4 2009-07-01 07:35 controlC0
32 > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 8 2009-07-01 07:35 controlC1
33 > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 3 2009-07-01 07:35 pcmC0D0c
34 > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 7 2009-07-01 07:35 pcmC1D0c
35 > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 6 2009-07-01 07:35 pcmC1D0p
36 > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 5 2009-07-01 07:35 pcmC1D1c
37 > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 9 2009-07-01 07:35 seq
38 > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 2 2009-07-01 07:35 timer
39
40 The above shows that after boot alsa thinks it has 2 sound cards.
41 Do you actually have two?
44 > Mine after running alsaconf
45 > ls -l /dev/snd
46 > total 0
47 > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 6 2009-07-01 11:39 controlC0
48 > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 5 2009-07-01 11:39 pcmC0D0c
49 > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 4 2009-07-01 11:39 pcmC0D0p
50 > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 3 2009-07-01 11:39 pcmC0D1c
51 > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 7 2009-07-01 11:39 seq
52 > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 2 2009-07-01 11:39 timer
53
54 After alsa thinks it has only one card. Furthermore, it appears that it is
55 the second of your 2 cards.
56 alsaconf is really only intended to be run once on a new system its main
57 function is to write the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa
58 Secondarily it also kicks everything to reread the new parameters, etc, etc.
59
60 When I bashed my head against alsaconf 3 years ago it did a great job of
61 detecting and configuring one sound card, but had no clue how to handle
62 a second card on the same system. I ended up hand-crafting the
63 /etc/modprobe.d/alsa file.
64
65 If you really have only one card I would mv /etc/modprobe.d/alsa
66 to somewhere safe, just in case. Make sure it is gone from /etc/modprobe.
67 Then run alsaconf again.
68
69 Do a diff between the saved and new /etc/modprobe.d/alsa
70 Also inspect /etc/modprobe.conf to see that it was updated with the contents
71 of the new /etc/modprobe.conf. Check its timestamp too.
72 read man update-modules and consider if you need to run it. ALso check
73 /etc/modules.d to see if there is any crud lying around that could be the
74 source of the problem.
75
76 Try rebooting and see...
79 Regarding your timestamp anomaly - It looks like your hardware clock is
80 keeping UTC but linux thinks that it is keeping local (eastern?) time.
81 see man hwclock. Early in the boot the hw clock is read, 4 hours is
82 subtracted to set linux's system clock, the first set of files is is stamped,
83 then after your network is up an external time source is consulted and the
84 system clock is reset +4 hours.
85
86 To set things up edit /etc/conf.d/clock
87 I recommend using UTC unless you are dual booting windows,
88 I also recommend CLOCK_SYSTOHC="yes" to set your hardware clock to the
89 current system time on shutdown.
93 Dave F