From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Boycott Systemd
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 18:08:04
1 On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 03:04:10 +1000
2 Lie Ryan <lie.1296@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > If you are not contributing to the solutions I use then don't be
6 > surprised if my software goes to directions that do not accomodate
7 > your own in-house stuffs. There are thousands of people with their own
8 > in-house stuffs that breaks due to the changes, and thousands other
9 > in-house that becomes easier due to the changes, why should I care
10 > about yours in particular. If you want me to care about your stuffs,
11 > then put it in the open, make it useful for more than just you, and
12 > fight it out with other similar solutions.
15 Rigidity of design serves only to accommodate the ignorant dummy.
16
17 A professional system is deliberately set up to allow infinite
18 configuration and customization by an informed user base.
19
20 In the Linux world there are distributions made for the dummy
21 and there are distributions intended for informed users. The
22 diversity made possible by the inherent and extensive configurability
23 of Linux allows this.
24
25 All developers should never lose sight of the need to keep the
26 overall design open and flexible.
27
28 Someone else mentioned the concept of "vertical integration."
29 It is important to always understand this concept and how it can
30 lead to a loss of flexibility and consequently a loss for the
31 Linux community as a whole.