From: Harry Holt <harryholt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: ati-drivers compile issues
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 19:21:39
1 On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Paul Hartman <
2 paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com <paul.hartman%2Bgentoo@×××××.com>> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 10:26 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
5 > wrote:
6 > > Harry Holt wrote:
7 > >>
8 > >> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de
9 > >> <mailto:realnc@×××××.de>> wrote:
10 > >>
11 > >> I don't know if this error exists upstream or not, but I may try
12 > >> installing the 9.3 version from ATI just to find out (if I can
13 > >> get through it). I know the Debian version in "squeeze" works
14 > >> but it's a newer version as far as I can tell (version numbers
15 > >> are really inconsistent).
16 > >>
17 > >> Anyway, has anyone else had this problem? Is there a way around
18 > >> it without turning on PCI_LEGACY in the kernel?
19 > >>
20 > >>
21 > >> No. You have to read the comments of that bug report and do as they
22 > >> say. The driver needs to use a kernel feature that is disabled in
23 > >> your kernel. Debian has it enabled.
24 > >>
25 > >>
26 > >> Sorry, but that's just not true. If I compile a 2.6.27 kernel in debian
27 > >> with PCI_LEGACY=N, I can still install the "9.2" deb ATI Driver package.
28 > >> But the same kernel configured the same way in Gentoo causes the
29 > >> ati-drivers compile to fail.
30 > >
31 > > Then I guess you can open a new bug report about it. Maybe that option
32 > is
33 > > not needed anymore. On Gentoo, old stuff tends to accumulate over time
34 > and
35 > > no one really checks if it's still needed. It's very possible that many
36 > > kernel options the ebuild checks for are not needed at all anymore.
37 >
38 > That's a good idea. Try to comment out the check in the ebuild and see
39 > what happens. I use the x11 radeon driver so I can't try it.
42 Well I'm still working on trying various things. I decided to go ahead and
43 enable PCI_LEGACY to get xorg, etc. all in place and then try disabling to
44 see if things still worked. Unfortunately I ran into this:
45
46 * The current ati-drivers don't compile when having
47 * paravirtualization active due to GPL symbol export
48 * restrictions.
49 * Please disable it:
50 * CONFIG_PARAVIRT=n
51 * in /usr/src/linux/.config or
52 * Processor type and features -->
53 * [ ] Paravirtualization support (EXPERIMENTAL)
54 * in 'menuconfig'
55
56 Which is crazy, because the whole point of this box is to run VMs.
57
58 Does the "fglrx" VIDEO_CARDS flag do anything other than pulling in a
59 dependency? If so I could just disable that get everything in place.