From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Copying an entire installation
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 11:03:46
1 I'm considering experimenting with other file systems, JFS in particular. I
2 want to use a spare disk area and install an exact duplicate of my present
3 system, which lives in ext3.
4
5 The straightforward way seems to be to copy the world file from the current
6 system to the new one (after finishing a basic installation using the
7 standard methods) and running "emerge -uaDvN world". Is this likely to run
8 me into problems? Perhaps I should prefer "emerge -1 `cat old.world.file`?"
9
10 Another way would be just to tar up the old partition and untar it onto the
11 new one, but I think I'd feel happier installing into place. Seems cleaner,
12 somehow.
15 Rgds
16 Peter Humphrey
17 Linux Counter 5290, Aug 93