From: Josh Sled <jsled@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] New install - basic question
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 17:05:50
Paul Stear <gentoo@××××××××××××.com> writes:
> I am currently using amd64 2 core processor but now have the chance to use > an intel quad 64 processor. > This might be a silly question but is it best to do a compltly new > install?
> Which chost and cflags should I use?
I just did this transition a couple of weeks ago … Athlon 64 X2 to i7-950. You don't need to do a full reinstall. I found interesting reading leading up to the change, especially ezakimak2's post of 2010-04-12 15:00. I did the same procedure as he outlines: - edit /etc/make.conf to change CFLAGS from -march=k8 to -march=generic - `emerge system` - rebuilt kernel for generic i686, new mobo - shut down, swap hardware, start up - edit /etc/make.conf to change CFLAGS to -march=native - `emerge system` The biggest problem I had was not building a kernel that included all the drivers appropriate to my new motherboard, leading to kernel panic immediately on startup and many hours spent that day with System Rescue CD. :( Unfortunately, SystemRescueCD seemed to identify my boot drive and raid/lvm setup wrong, which was very distressing and misleading for most of that time. Once I figured that out and re-mounted everything correctly, I was able to chroot into my own system as per and build and install an appropriate kernel. I did change some USE flags and rebuilt media packages, but I haven't needed to rebuild anything else, yet. X, Gnome, emacs, Chrome, &c. all ran perfectly fine after things were up and running; I wasn't running any particularly crazy CFLAGS before. is always a good reference for CFLAGS, though as they point out, these days it's just "-march=native" and let GCC figure it out. CHOST should be unchanged from your current setting: CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu". If this is not your current setting, then you are not running 64-bit, and you might want to take the opportunity to do a complete reinstall, yes. -- ...jsled - a=jsled;; echo ${a}@${b}