From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Machine recommendations?
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 11:44:12
1 Thanasis posted on Fri, 13 Mar 2015 22:30:20 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130759
4 >
5 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113364
6
7 Thank you very /very/ much! That's very close to perfect for the
8 router... and googling I see others already using it for such. =:^)
9
10 I haven't worked with mini-ITX before and thus didn't realize how close
11 it is to what I was looking for. And with what's included... Embedded
12 graphics, not really necessary on the router but it'll make working with
13 it far easier, and embedded audio, should let me play media on the router
14 and shut the main machine off. And there's the single 16x PCIE slot @ 4x
15 speed, perfect for the quad-port Ethernet card.
16
17 The quad-core, 2+ GHz CPU @ 25W power dissipation should be plenty of
18 power, even for playing media (one review said 80% usage of all four
19 cores for 1080p, however, which it'll handle, but realistically not 4k,
20 when I eventually even have a display that'll do 4k), and it should de-
21 clock and power-down for routing-only. And that dissipation, quite fans
22 shouldn't be a big issue.
23
24 And the suggested bundles, while not exactly what I want, hint that
25 $200-300 for the system, plus the $80 ethernet card, is a very reasonable
26 budget.
27
28 I'm looking at cases and power-supplies now, since I have some idea what
29 I'm going to install with them. And now that the idea is beginning to
30 come together, I can take a closer look at the available Ethernet cards,
31 too, including checking drivers...
36 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman