From: Mike Melanson <mike@××××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] 64-bit or 32-bit?
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 13:02:45
1 Anand Buddhdev wrote:
2 > Hello fellow list members,
3 >
4 > I'm getting a new AMD64-based computer, and I'd like to run gentoo on
5 > it. I have been doing a bit of reading about running linux on AMD64, and
6 > it seems that in general, it's not a problem. The main issues seem to be
7 > with firefox 32-bit plugins, and win32 codecs for use with mplayer. My
8 > reading seems to suggest that if I stick to firefox-bin and mplayer32,
9 > then I should be fine. However, I'd like to hear from people who're
10 > already using gentoo on amd64, and what their experience is. Is it
11 > simple to get these apps to work? Or was there a lot of frustration
12 > involved. I've used linux and BSD systems for a long time, so I'm used
13 > to hacking, and I'm not afraid to mess around with scripts and
14 > compilers. But I've reached a point when I'd just like to be able to
15 > install a system, and have it work. Fedora Core almost allows that,
16 > except that I'm a bit fed up of the multiple repository problems, and no
17 > proper way of picking and choosing what exactly I want. I could
18 > recompile some of the packages from SRPMS, and specify my choices. But I
19 > reckoned that if recompiling was the way to go, then I'd give gentoo a try.
20 >
21 > One of the choices I'm facing is whether to install gentoo 64-bit, or
22 > 32-bit. Installing 32-bit on the AMD64 would make life easy, but kind of
23 > defeats the purpose of having a 64-bit processor. Hence my request for
24 > opinions. Should I go 64-bit, or stay in the 32-bit world for now?
25
26 For most of what I have to do, 64-bit Gentoo works famously. Yes, the
27 multimedia codec thing is a problem which is very near and dear to my
28 heart (see my email address). The community is working hard on reverse
29 engineering major codecs in order to mitigate this problem.
32 -Mike Melanson
33 --
34 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list