From: Bob Young <BYoung@××××××××××.com>
To: Gentoo-Amd64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Requesting advice on PIC and amd64
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 23:50:51
1 I’m re-installing Gentoo64 yet-again on my dual Opteron box, this time I
2 want to build with nptl and nptlonly use flags starting from stage1. ( <- I’
3 d welcome thoughts/opinions on this as well).
4
5 In deciding on what other use flags I want, I noticed the pic flag, with it’
6 s accompanying warning of “Do not utilize this flag unless you know what
7 you're doing.” So I figured I’d better do some research. I’ve read
8 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/pic-guide.xml and
9 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/pic-internals.xml. It seems that
10 using PIC is primarily a security feature/enhancement. The box is a
11 workstation, and has no public IP address, I’m more interested in
12 performance than security, but if the PIC adds significant security without
13 noticeably impacting performance on amd64, I’m wondering if adding the pic
14 use flag in make.conf might be a good idea.
15
16 TIA
17 Bob Young
18 San Jose CA.