From: Steve Herber <herber@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: modules
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 21:29:01
On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Duncan wrote:

> DR GM SEDDON posted <436B56B2.10106@×××××××××××××.uk>, excerpted below, > on Fri, 04 Nov 2005 12:40:18 +0000: > >> Hi, >> I was wondering. What modules do I need installed at boot? > > Other than that, I learned what I needed pretty much by going thru > the entire kernel config and turning on what I KNEW I needed, then > using trial and error on everything else, trying without it to see if > everything still worked and didn't complain, going back and turning it > back on if I found I needed it....
This is why I miss RedHat. I don't want to spend my time customizing a kernel then spending more time with trial and error getting just the kernel I need. RedHat has a system in place that installs a minimal kernal and then loads almost everything else as modules. Genkernel almost does what I want but it is always a struggle. The base system always loads all the different disk drivers and does not unload the unused ones. Is anyone working on a more RedHat like kernel/modules/runtime loading system? It would eliminate the problem the original poster had and save lots of time for the rest of us. Thanks, Steve Herber herber@×××××.com work: 206-221-7262 Security Engineer, UW Medicine, IT Services home: 425-454-2399 -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
[gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: modules Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>