From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] GCC 4.5.1 with FLTO and Graphite
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 02:03:27
1 After doing my periodical emerge update, I notice that gcc-4.5.1 is
2 now unmasked and presumably stable. I also notice that a couple of
3 new options are possible with this new release, namely Graphite and
4 FLTO optimizations. (Actually, Graphite has been available for a while
5 but I haven't been following gcc development too closely and only now
6 do I become aware of it.)
7
8 Does anyone have any comments on the use of Graphite and/or FLTO?
9 Are they capable of significant improvements on a amd64 system?
10
11 Supposedly FLTO will greatly increase file size and thus could be
12 selectively enabled for only a few packages. Would building gcc
13 itself with FLTO be advisable?
14
15 There are reports that many packages fail to build with FLTO:
16 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2010/04/25/tinderbox-getting-friendly-with-gcc-4-5
17
18 Since I have encountered little detailed discussion on this topic,
19 I am posting my question to this list.
20
21 Frank Peters