From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Seamonkey vs Mozilla: pointless cage match
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:54:54
1 "Richard Fish" <bigfish@××××××××××.org> posted
2 7573e9640611150101h93e9cabw1fbf3927fda1bd46@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Wed, 15 Nov 2006 02:01:59 -0700:
4
5 [Excellent post, Richard. I've a feeling some may find it worth
6 archiving. =8^)]
7
8 >> 3. Mozilla vs Seamonkey. I tried Seamonkey a couple of times, and it
9 >> crashed so often and so quickly that I reverted to mozilla. Now it
10 >> seems there are quite a few packages which insist on seamonkey and
11 >> are not satisfied with mozilla.
12
13 > If the packages have USE flags, check them. Something with a
14 > "firefox" flag might use that to prefer firefox over seamonkey.
15 > Something else with a "no-seamonkey" flag...well, guess what that
16 > does. TIP: add --verbose --pretend to your emerge commands to see the
17 > USE flags and changes. And add --tree to see what is pulling in
18 > seamonkey.
19 >
20 >> Why do some packages explicitly care about seamonkey? Shouldn't
21 >> they be pretty much the same? Shouldn't the dependencies be happy
22 >> with either one?
23
24 Something I picked up from I believe the dev list, that Richard didn't
25 mention. Mozilla will eventually be removed, replaced by seamonkey. As
26 newer packages require features not in the older mozilla packages, they'll
27 specifically depend on seamonkey alone. The mozilla USE flag is
28 deprecated as well, with newer packages being actively updated to the
29 seamonkey USE flag and dependencies. Eventually they'll all be
30 dependencies on seamonkey and the mozilla packages can be removed from the
31 tree.
32
33 Meanwhile, as Richard suggested, there's package.provided, if you have to
34 use it, but be aware that it might break things who then assume the
35 dependencies are installed that might not be. As long as you are aware of
36 it, particularly when some otherwise puzzling emerge error or another
37 occurs, and use common sense, it shouldn't be a big problem. However,
38 again as he said, most of the time use flag management can cure the
39 problem, if you understand how it works in the particular case, of course
40 (and Richard explained that better than I could as I don't find I need any
41 Mozilla products ATM, konqueror suffices for me, so I'm not that familiar
42 with this particular case at all).
47 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
50 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list