From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: upgrade an old system
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 13:54:17
1 Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com> posted 49FEE4E5.7020408@××.com,
2 excerpted below, on Mon, 04 May 2009 14:51:49 +0200:
3
4 > Duncan wrote:
5 >> march=k8 (aka opteron, aka athlon64, aka athlon-fx) is supposed to be a
6 >> synonym, that is, identical to march=athlon64 (and the other akas
7 >> above). However, newer gcc versions also have march=k8-sse3, which
8 >> will
9 >
10 > That is interesting piece of information. Where did you get it? The gcc
11 > man page is not very informative, just listing the four names on the
12 > same row.
13
14 The manpage implies it, but you're right, it doesn't make it as plain as
15 it could. OTOH, the manpage isn't really written for ordinary users or
16 even sysadmins, but more developers and package maintainers, who would be
17 expected to have a bit more field knowledge than many Gentoo users do.
18 It also helps a bit to compare the description there to some of the
19 others, and read between the lines.
20
21 But I've seen it confirmed by various devs and the like, as well.
22
23 It's also worth noting that as with most GNU projects, gcc's primary
24 documentation is the info system (info gcc, where you'd normally use man
25 gcc), not the manpages. The manpages can be behind or omit information
26 found in the info pages.
27
28 The info system is an obscure sort of interesting. It's an early form of
29 browsable, with links much like a web site but more primitive and without
30 images. It's more flexible than manpages because of this browsability,
31 but it's also more complex to master, as instead of either one huge
32 manpage or a whole bunch of individual separate manpages, there's an
33 interlinked info topic and all its subtopics, and one has to learn at
34 least a few navigation basics in ordered to get anywhere at all. As with
35 EMACS or VIM, once someone has mastered those basics, it's a rather
36 powerful system, much more so than ordinary manpages. But unfortunately,
37 entry level functionality is a high enough barrier it never really caught
38 on. I suppose it would have, had the web not come along and basically
39 out-ran it in BOTH functionality and intuitiveness.
40
41 As it happens, for some reason, the gcc I have configured as my main
42 system gcc currently, has "empty" manpages. That is, probably due to
43 some quirk found and fixed in the early ~arch phase (or possibly while
44 still masked, as I sometimes unmask a not yet ~arch gcc and build what of
45 the system I can with it), the manpage building didn't work correctly,
46 and all they have is the header and footer, no content. Thus, I can't
47 conveniently check the manpage. I must either use the info system (which
48 I know enough to sort of get around in, but haven't mastered by far) or
49 gcc-config back to an older version to get the manpage and hope it's
50 substantially the same, or browse the older gcc binpkg and use the
51 manpage there. Since I don't have a working manpage I use the info
52 system mostly, but go find an older manpage if I get frustrated trying to
53 navigate the info system. I'm sure it's fixed by now, but haven't
54 bothered remerging it to see.
55
56 > The first problem I had was that portage snapshot is now compressed with
57 > lzma, which in the old system was not even installed. I managed to find
58 > a .tar.bz2 snapshot and tried to update portage as you suggest, but
59 > again was bitten by lzma (some packages ship in lzma compress format).
60 > The while trying to work around the fact that lzma was not compiling I
61 > made the linux-utils mess.
62
63 Ugh. I hadn't thought of the LZMA mess, but you're correct, that's a
64 fairly new development, so older portages wouldn't have been able to
65 handle it. FWIW, it was sort of forced on Gentoo by upstream, GNU I
66 believe, as they began using LZMA compression for some of their sources,
67 so Gentoo pretty much /had/ to at least handle LZMA compressed source
68 tarballs, and once it did that, the rest pretty much came along for the
69 ride.
70
71 >> FWIW for the future, I'd suggest updating at least every six months or
72 >> so, just to keep from getting in such binds. But six-month updates are
73 >> already likely to be more difficult than necessary. Three-month
74 >> updates are the most I'd want to go on a routine basis. By a year out,
75 >> indeed, grabbing the latest stage tarball and going from there, as you
76 >> discuss below, is getting to be the most viable option.
77 >
78 > I was not so keen to frequent updates due to the long compilation time
79 > on the Sempron plus the fact that I do not have frequent access to that
80 > system. I just recently discovered the binpkg feature, I'm going to
81 > update the system more often now.
82
83 Yes. As you may have noted given I post about it every so often, binpkg
84 is something I consider really nifty myself, to the point I consider it
85 the best underdocumented feature portage has! =:^)
86
87 Now that you know about the equivalent -marchs, you can make use of that
88 binpkg feature. Note that even if they weren't equivalent but simply
89 mostly compatible, you could -march for the older one, while still using
90 -mtune to optimize the instruction ordering for the newer one if desired,
91 while still only using instructions they both understand. Or just -march
92 for the older one and let the newer one get by on the hardware
93 optimizations alone. After all, that's what a lot of binary
94 distributions and proprietary OSs do all the time.
95
96 Of course, there are times when updates may not be done for awhile
97 anyway. Suppose someone goes for their year or two in the armed forces
98 that many nations require. They probably get home on leave once or twice
99 a year is all, until they get out. Or if you set it up for your folks
100 and only see them at Christmas or some such, tho in that case I'd say
101 either setup an ssh login you can use to manage it, or set them up with a
102 binary distribution with a GUI based auto-updater they can learn to use
103 themselves. The point is, yes, there are times when a year or two might
104 indeed go by. But really, when that happens, doing the stage tarball
105 thing might be the simplest way to update anyway. Gentoo simply isn't
106 designed for the yearly update types and works FAR better doing the
107 rolling update thing at least monthly, tho three months still works, and
108 six months can be reasonably handled in a pinch tho it's really making
109 things hard on yourself to do it deliberately, as there's simply too much
110 to reasonably handle at once, if it's six months out.
115 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman