From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Initial install issues
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 12:08:02
1 "Hemmann, Volker Armin" <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> posted
2 200605162027.21948.volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de, excerpted below,
3 on Tue, 16 May 2006 20:27:21 +0200:
4
5 > So I bet it is a) the ram b) overheating of the CPU or c) your PSU.
6 > In that order.
7 >
8 > bzip2 needs a lot of CPU power, so overheating could be the reason.
9 > Overheating or undervolting, as soon as it has an increased load.
10
11 I'll second that. I've experienced bunzip2 issues before due both to
12 over-clocking and to memory issues. Most recently due to memory issues,
13 due to some generic memory I had.
14
15 bzip2 is high compression, which stresses the CPU. It can also stress
16 memory with larger tarballs. One characteristic of good compression is
17 that the compressed form appears random -- no duplication or pattern
18 visible, or further compression is possible. In such a situation,
19 transmission or storage errors become possible and the reliability of the
20 data is thus suspect. To account for and counteract this, bzip2 performs
21 a pretty intensive integrity check. If your computer has unreliable
22 parts, memory, CPU, etc, bunzip2 is very often the canary in the coal mine
23 in terms of spotting them, due in part to this intensive integrity check
24 and its sensitivity to memory or CPU errors.
25
26 Despite the fact that you don't provide the specific errors, which could
27 have been quite useful, I'd lay money on the problem being unreliable
28 hardware, either CPU or memory. If it's possible with your motherboard,
29 declock one or both a notch or two. Here, the memory error I had at the
30 rated PC3200 (DDR-400) entirely disappeared when an upgraded BIOS gave me
31 the ability to declock the generic memory from 200 (doubled to 400) MHz to
32 183 (doubled to 366) MHz, from PC3200 to PC3000 equivalent. At the lower
33 speed, the system was rock stable.
34
35 Likewise in an earlier generation, when I was overclocking my (then
36 Athlon-C) CPU from 1.2 to 1.33 GHz. For about a year and a half, I ran
37 Distributed.net, thus 100% CPU on the overclocked. It ran fine, but it
38 DID shorten the life of my CPU, such that at about 18 months in, I started
39 getting various errors and ended up declocking back to 1.2 GHz. Even
40 there, however, I had to keep the increased voltage, as the system was no
41 longer stable without it, and even with the increased voltage, still
42 wasn't absolutely stable. It was while I was on that system that MS put
43 out eXPrivacy, and after waiting literally years for an NT based full
44 32-bit system, I realized I couldn't accept the privacy and other
45 compromises that MS was demanding. As a result, there was simply no way I
46 could legally run eXPrivacy, because I couldn't agree to the EULA or the
47 authentication scheme. Fortunately, I had been scoping out Linux for some
48 time and ensuring all the hardware I purchased was Linux compatible, so I
49 upgraded to Linux rather than go illegal with MSWormOS eXPrivacy. I've
50 never looked back, but one thing I DID find out right away was that the
51 system wasn't stable enough (due to my previous overclocking) to reliably
52 do certain things (including using bunxip2). Fortunately, I had chosen
53 Mandrake, a binary distribution, so it wasn't as bad as it would have been
54 on Gentoo, but I got used to having to redo things like bunzip2 calls 2 or
55 3 times to get them to work properly.
56
57 I switched to AMD64 (and to the previously mentioned problem with generic
58 memory) before I switched to Gentoo. Fortunately, the problem with the
59 memory wasn't as bad as yours seems to be, but I still had to babysit
60 emerges, and do some of them several times over to finish them
61 successfully, until that BIOS upgrade gave me the ability to declock the
62 memory just that one notch, and one notch made all the difference!
63
64 So... Try declocking your system, either memory or CPU. Something's not
65 running stable. If you can't or doing so doesn't help on amd64, chances
66 are you'll have difficulty with x86 Gentoo on that computer as well,
67 unless you can do the compiles on other x86 computers and just do the
68 binary package thing on that one. Even then, if it won't do bunzip2,
69 since the binary package thing uses bzip2 packages, you might be out of
70 luck. If you can't declock something, you are most likely looking at
71 either a memory replace or a CPU replace to get reasonable stability.
72 Unfortunately... but that's dealing with real life, and I have the
73 real life experiences demonstrating the fact.
78 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
81 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list