From: Lie Ryan <lie.1296@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Drivers For USB HDD
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 18:04:43
1 It's not a good idea to not do journalling for an external drive. No matter
2 how careful you are, it is just a matter of when you will trip up your USB
3 cable in the middle of a write; and then you should just pray that fsck can
4 save your drive without the journal.
5
6 Also, it probably won't hurt using ext4, given that ext4 had several
7 performance improvements over ext3. However, as Theodore T'so - the primary
8 developer of ext4 - said, ext4 is a stopgap until btrfs is ready. IMO, from
9 my experience of using btrfs some time ago, I'd say that btrfs is pretty
10 much ready nowadays.