From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Heads Up Kernel-3.11 Nvidia-drivers
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 19:42:04
1 On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 10:53 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >
4 > Note that 3.10 is the new "long term support" kernel by upstream, so if you
5 > decide not to upgrade to the latest and greatest, 3.10 will be receiving
6 > updates for a long time to come.
7 >
8 > http://kroah.com/log/blog/2013/08/04/longterm-kernel-3-dot-10
11 Great info Nikos. Thanks. I'm a bit thrown by a new Gentoo-Linux
12 option in the kernel but it looks like a good move long term for the
13 distro. Just have to test that I didn't break anything basic.
14
15 My machine here is getting into an Nvidia pickle that so far I've been
16 unable to get out of. Problem is I'm not sure where to go but I
17 haven't really asked anyone as I wasn't even quite sure how to
18 approach the problem. I'm not necessarily looking for a technical
19 solution today. Really I'm just interested in how others would
20 approach the problem.
21
22 Currently I'm running gentoo-sources-3.8.13 with
23 nvidia-drivers-313.30. For whatever reason my long running xorg.conf
24 file will no longer run with any nvidia driver newer than 313.30. X
25 just doesn't run. Based on your post I just built 3.10.7 and it
26 appears that 313.30 isn't supported with this newer kernel so pretty
27 soon I'm gonna have problems...
28
29 Possible directions to go:
30
31 1) Fix xorg.conf. Best solution but so far I haven't been able to do
32 it even with help from the Gentoo forums. Where to go? Don't know.
33 Nvidia forums maybe? Here? Dunno.
34
35 2) Drop nvidia-drivers and try nouveau. May be a reasonable video
36 direction - my screen-based video/graphics needs are not high -
37 however I have long terms needs of accessing the GPU as a compute
38 engine in R so I _think_ I have to stick with nvidia-drivers to do
39 that. Maybe not but I don't know at this time and I could deal with
40 that later. (I know Duncan's vote, if he's reading, goes here.) :-)
41
42 3) Buy one or two new VGA cards. I currently run 3 screens, 2 on a
43 GTX465 and 1 on a 8400 GS. My trading partner uses 2 8400's without
44 issues (so far) so I could dump the GTX465, buy 1 8400 and I'd be OK
45 but would lose a lot of compute power. None the less it would likely
46 work.
47
48 4) Something else...
49