From: Roy Wright <royw@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Wow! KDE 3.5.1 & Xorg 7.0 w/ Composite
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 20:08:30
1 Duncan wrote:
2
3 >The history of the term "enable" in computer usage, I believe traces to
4 >its use for computer hardware. Consider the old serial protocols as used
5 >in telephone modems and the like. Being binary logic, each signal line
6 >had two states, 0/off, typically at ground-reference voltage, and 1/on,
7 >typically at 5 volt reference relative to ground. The following
8 >description should be generally accurate, altho I never mapped the
9 >specifics for any particular protocol or pin-out into
10 >permanent brain-memory, only absorbing enough to understand the principles
11 >of how it worked.
14 OK, time to date myself. In hardware (yes, even pre-computer hardware),
15 one of
16 the lowest design elements is a gate (could be transistors, could be
17 relays, etc).
18 With a gate you can open or close it. In digital logic, the gate can be
19 in two states,
20 all the way open or all the way close. When open, then things are
21 allowed to pass
22 thru. When closed they are not. The logic signal for controlling the
23 gate is normally
24 referred to as the enable. If the gate is enabled, then things can flow
25 thru it.
26
27 Notice that the term is used to describe a logic function. It is
28 possible to have
29 active-high or active-low enables. So the value necessary to enable the
30 gate is
31 implementation dependent. For example, the gate could be enabled on: 1,
32 0, +5V,
33 0V, +12V, -12V, +20psi, -10C, whatever.
34
35 Back to software, normally a zero is used to represent deasserted, a
36 non-zero represents
37 asserted. Then we like to semantically assign boolean states such as
38 on/off, true/false
39 to asserted/deasserted. It is best not to think of booleans as having
40 numerical values,
41 but the base 2 numbering system's set of digits is {0,1}, so some
42 software will use
43 base 10's 0 and 1 digits for booleans (I have seen 0xffff used for true
44 in a C compiler).
45
46 Now getting back to the original discussion. It's clearer to state:
47 "the enable is asserted"
48 than "the enable is true" or "the enable is high" or "the enable is on"
49 or "the enable is 1".
50 But common mis-usage has them all equivalent.
51
52 Have fun,
53 Roy
54 --