From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Is equery broken, or do I need to rebuild something?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 03:22:05
1 Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk> posted
2 200704172320.30437.prh@××××××××××.uk, excerpted below, on Tue, 17 Apr
3 2007 23:20:30 +0100:
4
5 > Ok, I'll take it up in the morning - too tired to think straight
6 > tonight.
7 LOL. I can identify with that! I wonder how many other geeks regularly
8 literally doze off at the computer, then after waking do a bit and find
9 they've dozed off again, repeat several times and either give up and find
10 the bed, or find it's time to go to work and they haven't properly slept
11 /at/ /all/?
12
13 > Thanks for your findings.
14
15 Yeah, sometimes you just need to know if someone else is seeing the same
16 thing, or if it's just an artifact on a single installation. Knowing
17 either way can sure help. =8^)
18
19 You didn't mention whether you actually had portaudio merged or not, but
20 I assume so. In any case, that the equery is causing a traceback when
21 it's NOT merged (as well as that it's happening on multiple systems)
22 doubly points to a problem in either portage or gentoolkit, not just an
23 individual case of database corruption or the like.
24
25 I regularly check the bugs listed in the portage changelogs, and have
26 seen a number of "traceback" style bugs resolved. I love the way ZMedico
27 comments on the bugs, leaving a trail even those (like me) who don't "do
28 code" that much/well can follow reasonably well. While following portage
29 bugs for me began as a typical sysadmin core component update
30 cautiousness, it has become somewhat of a minor hobby in its own right,
31 as following the bugs and their resolution is simply /interesting/! =8^)
32
33 This one (tho it's gentoolkit not portage per se, might be portage's bug
34 tho, we'll see) is particularly interesting, because unlike many/most of
35 the traceback bugs I've seen, it doesn't appear to be a bug in dealing
36 with unexpectedly corrupt data, but rather in the code itself, given it
37 occurs even here, with the package in question not merged. Thus it has
38 the potential of being doubling interesting to see the problem actually
39 traced down and fixed, what happened, why, and what can be done to fix it.
44 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
47 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list