From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Qemu could not build with GCC 4
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 10:14:31
1 Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com> posted
2 20061009092138.BB0A11A01B49E@×××××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Mon,
3 09 Oct 2006 12:21:38 +0300:
4
5 > Portage says "Qemu could not build with GCC 4" and that is true. What am I
6 > supposed to do? I doubt I should file a bug report because devs obviously
7 > know about this issue. Please, advice me what do to in order to get qemu
8 > working.
9
10 Well, I don't have qemu merged here, but one would suppose if it doesn't
11 work with gcc-4, that you need to merge an older gcc version, 3.4.6 or
12 whatever, as well, and use it. Once you have more than one version used,
13 you use gcc-config to set one or the other as the system compiler, and can
14 switch whenever you wish. Just don't forget to switch back to your normal
15 one when you are done. =8^)
16
17 How to merge specific versions of a package is covered in the handbook,
18 either under the working with portage or the working with Gentoo section, I
19 don't recall which. If you've not done so, I suggest you read both (tho
20 if you aren't modifying initscripts or the like you can get away with only
21 skimming those chapters), as they contain some very useful information.
22 However, basically what you'd do here is "emerge -a \<gcc-4" (the
23 backslash escapes the < so bash doesn't interpret it as a redirect instead
24 of passing it to emerge). That should get you the highest unmasked gcc-3.x
25 version, which should be 3.4.6-r1 or -r2, depending on whether you are
26 running ~arch or stable (and assuming there hasn't been another -r release
27 in the couple days since I last synced).
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
35 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list