From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers,
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 23:18:44
1 On Donnerstag 27 August 2009, Allistar wrote:
2 > Jesús Guerrero wrote:
3 > > On Tue, August 25, 2009 23:56, Jesús Guerrero wrote:
4 > >> On Tue, August 25, 2009 19:17, Sebastian Beßler wrote:
5 > >>> Volker Armin Hemmann schrieb:
6 > >>>> On Dienstag 25 August 2009, Sebastian Beßler wrote:
7 > >>>>> No, because I can't use randr as randr doesn't supports my setup at
8 > >>>>> all. I had to deactivate randr-support in catalyst-drivers to get
9 > >>>>> it working. With randr only stupid bigscreen is possible. This is
10 > >>>>> the reason why I still stick with the closed driver, the open ones
11 > >>>>> only support xrandr.
12 > >>>>
13 > >>>> hm, latest catalyst do have randr-1.2 support, does that help?
14 > >>>
15 > >>> Yes, it has and I had to deactivate it to get my setup running. Do you
16 > >>> really read what I am writing? As I said randr doesn't support two
17 > >>> separated displays, only bigscreen-mode. The people programming xorg
18 > >>> and randr say that there is no need for the old behavior because nearly
19 > >>> everything can be done with randr. Nearly yes but not that what I now
20 > >>> have and need.
21 > >>
22 > >> Sorry to interrupt. Could you direct me how to disable xrandr for
23 > >> this driver? I suspect it could be the culprit of a problem I am having
24 > >> when updating it.
25 > >
26 > > Ignore please, I found it myself. And it, indeed, solved my problem,
27 > > thanks a lot for the inspiration, this has been bothering me for
28 > > some time.
29 >
30 > I've read this part of the thread with interest. Being a KDE3 user myself
31 > (on AMD64) the one thing I won't sacrifice in the eventual move to KDE4 is:
32 > a triple head setup with 2 separate desktops running compiz fusion on both.
33 > I have two nVidia cards driving this and it works pretty well. I have
34 > my "main" desktop occupying the left two LCD's in "bigscreen" mode and the
35 > other desktop (i.e. a separate KDE instance) in the right hand 3rd monitor.
36 >
37 > Has anyone gotten a setup like this to work in KDE4 as it does in KDE3?
38 >
39 > What's the compiz support like in KDE4?
40
41 what compiz support?
42
43 you can use compiz as a wm if you really have to. system-settings, default
44 applications, windowmanager....